please help broody hen has ANTS on her and a BLACK comb?

If you have the space, you could try blocking her off in her own section so they get used to seeing her again but can't pick on her (if picking on her looks to be a problem still). The chicks I'm not sure about. If you only have her out for a few days, to clean and dress her comb and to get rid of the ants (both on her and in the coop), then I can't see them forgetting about her so soon. I'm sorry, I can't say how reintroduction will go; if you're hesitating to make a call, wait for more people to respond.
thanks i think thats all i can do really to help her get better

im not sure she is the lowest in the pecking order but she is not letting no one on that nest and she keeps moving from corner to corner last night she was in one corner this morning she was in the other corner but that might be the ants moving her
Were you able to get the ants off her?
How much longer does she have before the eggs hatch?
Are all the eggs she's sitting on intact, none are rotten are they?

Ants will bite the chicks when they hatch, so you need to get rid of the ants. Get some permethrin based poultry spray or dust, treat your hen and the nesting box to kill the ants.
Tractor supply or your local feed store should carry what you need, look for any of these products: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1151513/pesticides-approved-for-poultry

Were you able to get the ants off her?
How much longer does she have before the eggs hatch?
Are all the eggs she's sitting on intact, none are rotten are they?

Ants will bite the chicks when they hatch, so you need to get rid of the ants. Get some permethrin based poultry spray or dust, treat your hen and the nesting box to kill the ants.
Tractor supply or your local feed store should carry what you need, look for any of these products: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1151513/pesticides-approved-for-poultry
Thanks I will look for some at tsc she is on day 8 so she still have a good two weeks to go I will try to find some of the stuff and let y’all know what happens thanks for your help

so tonight im going to move her to a tote in the house but will she be loud or so scared that i break her i was checking on her and she has plucked her breast feathers so i think she is really wanting chicks this time

ok i have her box ready i hope i can get those ants gone :barnie im think of taking her out side to the coop and shutting the door while the others are free ranging and give her 15 mins to poop and keep with the flock is that a good idea

ok i will see what i can do to bring her in side thanks for your help im just a little worried that the bigger hens will for get about her and it will be hard to put her back in the flock with her chicks she is the lowest in the flock will that be ok to still bring her in side

It takes awhile for hens to be forgotten by others so unlessvshes gone for months

ok i have her box ready i hope i can get those ants gone :barnie im think of taking her out side to the coop and shutting the door while the others are free ranging and give her 15 mins to poop and keep with the flock is that a good idea

By "keep with the flock" do you mean "keep where the ants are?" I strongly recommend taking her inside (if you line the tote with some sort of bedding you can change, poop won't be a problem). I highly doubt her flock would forget about her, even if she has to be indoors for the rest of the hatch. Do you have any update pictures of her cleaned comb? I'd like to take a closer look at that. E.g., has the blackness spread, has the texture changed, any necrotic smell?

Back
Top Bottom