please help broody hen has ANTS on her and a BLACK comb?

Pics

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
hi i have two eggs under my d,uccle hen she is not getting off the nest at all and there are ants crawling on her back and around where she is sitting on her eggs she also has a comb that is becoming black what do i do what is wrong and how do i get rid of the ants. thanks

Is it possible you could post pictures? Tissue turning black doesn't sound good, but a photo would help with finding out the cause. As for ants, I've heard good things about diatomaceous earth dust baths, but I'd wait for someone more experienced to second DE for a broody hen.

Does she have any other symptoms? This sounds less like a question about hatching and more about a medical issue. You might want to crosspost in the diseases/injuries forum.

Thanks here is a photo of her comb sorry about the poop in the nest box I have to clean today lol and the white stuff on the comb is this stuff I put on it
5A8EBAF5-4FFE-4175-892E-FDB0A0A5C47A.jpeg
15FB4D0B-5030-4F85-9394-227075BF7908.jpeg
8609F96F-5E31-4B9D-BF7A-83BEFB37F369.jpeg
And here is the stuff I put on her comb
DCC6EFCB-4700-45F4-8EEE-0F1A66E9A0DE.jpeg

Thanks here is a photo of her comb sorry about the poop in the nest box I have to clean today lol and the white stuff on the comb is this stuff I put on it View attachment 1390743 View attachment 1390745 View attachment 1390742And here is the stuff I put on her comb View attachment 1390746

Ouch, poor hen, that doesn't seem very comfortable. You said it's actually painful for her? It looks a bit like frostbite, but would that even make sense for your area? I don't know which problem is more pressing for you, but as has been said, ants can be taken care of pretty easily. That comb looks more serious. Wish I knew how to help.

Ouch, poor hen, that doesn't seem very comfortable. You said it's actually painful for her? It looks a bit like frostbite, but would that even make sense for your area? I don't know which problem is more pressing for you, but as has been said, ants can be taken care of pretty easily. That comb looks more serious. Wish I knew how to help.
thanks for your help i dont know if it would be frost bite its pretty warm here in the day time and it only gets done to maybe 60s at night i dont know if its painfull for her or not but it sure does look that way im think of moving her to a tote in side but i dont want to stress her out even more

Back
Top Bottom