Please help!!!!! Chicken attacked by husky.

Pics
I wouldn't complain if you wasted a few dollars on something like this though: ;)

It is similar to plain water and is pretty easy to use....easier than trying to wash the wound with plain water.

Go by her behavior in judging whether to euthanize.
If on the other hand, she is perky, eating, vocal, and moving around, then there is hope of recovery. In that case, her wounds need thorough cleaning with soap and water or flushed with sterile saline, then dressed with an antibiotic ointment.

@azygous had it right on the first few posts!

Where is that wound located on her body?
I would just continue to keep it clean, apply the neosporin like you have been doing. It won't hurt to give a few injections of penicillin if you have it.

See that she is eating and drinking. Don't change up her diet too much - if she will eat her normal feed that would be great! A little treat of egg for protein is o.k.

I think she will be fine as long as nothing gets infected. In the photo, I don't see a bird in extreme pain at this time. Take a deep breath, you're doing good:hugs

img_3755-jpg.1256333

To put it as mildly as I can, pardon the language please, actions such as your neighbors, prove FOOLS do NOT need to have ANY animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
K, so heres my two cents ;) bit late, but eh

we had a chicken....oh, bout a month and a half to two months ago. hawk. SOMEHOW she actually got away from it, but she was REALLY ripped up. her thigh, two inch x two inch section, just laid down to the muscle. Also some deep puncture wounds on the neck (lower neck, like shoulder)
My mom thought she'd have to be put down. However, I didnt really feel like doing that.........so I voted for giving her a chance. what we did was: cut the other feathers away, lots of betadine (iodine ointment) and that stuff fixes anything, i tell you. changed bandages every day, lots of work, yes, but the skin actually grew back and didnt have any infection. she currently outside now, as of last week, as we try to reintroduce her to the others.
This is to say........they can recover from crazy big wounds. just keep them CLEAN and change banages often. and I recommend betadine. cant get that, neosporin

Just keep hopeful Lily :hugs

K, so heres my two cents ;) bit late, but eh

we had a chicken....oh, bout a month and a half to two months ago. hawk. SOMEHOW she actually got away from it, but she was REALLY ripped up. her thigh, two inch x two inch section, just laid down to the muscle. Also some deep puncture wounds on the neck (lower neck, like shoulder)
My mom thought she'd have to be put down. However, I didnt really feel like doing that.........so I voted for giving her a chance. what we did was: cut the other feathers away, lots of betadine (iodine ointment) and that stuff fixes anything, i tell you. changed bandages every day, lots of work, yes, but the skin actually grew back and didnt have any infection. she currently outside now, as of last week, as we try to reintroduce her to the others.
This is to say........they can recover from crazy big wounds. just keep them CLEAN and change banages often. and I recommend betadine. cant get that, neosporin

Just keep hopeful Lily :hugs
Thank you so much, Sam! When there's light there's hope.

Back
Top Bottom