PLEASE HELP!! CHICKEN WITH DIRTY VENT/LETHARGIC (vent gleet?!)

I see runny droppings and what looks like egg white material. I would do as @ChickNanny13 suggested, clean her up good, see what it looks like after that. It doesn't appear to be vent gleet to me, but see how she looks after a good clean up.
Hello again coach723, would you consider this exact calcium product good for her (photo attached below)? Would it also be good to feed the calcium by just desolving it into water or mixing it in with food or directly popping it into the chickens mouth? @coach723

Attachments

• C01A03BA-F319-4D75-BF58-ACD08569CEAD.jpeg
    C01A03BA-F319-4D75-BF58-ACD08569CEAD.jpeg
    13.2 KB · Views: 7
I can't zoom in or see the ingredient label. Any calcium will work, calcium citrate is easier absorbed than other forms and the vitamin D helps that also. But if that's what you have, use it (Citracal is what I keep on hand). Even tums can help in an emergency. I usually just put it in the beak and let them swallow it, that's easiest for me and you know they got it all. Alternately, crush or empty and mix in a small amount of moistened feed (so the calcium will stick) and make sure she eats it all.

I can't zoom in or see the ingredient label. Any calcium will work, calcium citrate is easier absorbed than other forms and the vitamin D helps that also. But if that's what you have, use it (Citracal is what I keep on hand). Even tums can help in an emergency. I usually just put it in the beak and let them swallow it, that's easiest for me and you know they got it all. Alternately, crush or empty and mix in a small amount of moistened feed (so the calcium will stick) and make sure she eats it all.
Hello coach723, thank you so much for your reply! Just to clarify for you, these are the ingredients in the calcium bottle (pictures below). I also have another calcium bottle but this time it is "calcium citrate magnesium and zinc" (pictures below). Which one will work better?

Attachments

• 1680579012631.png
    1680579012631.png
    521.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 1680579029893.png
    1680579029893.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 1680579075895.png
    1680579075895.png
    323.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 1680579092397.png
    1680579092397.png
    180.2 KB · Views: 7
Personally I would use the one that is just calcium +D. Interesting that the other identifies what form of calcium but this one does not. One study says that 20 mg of zinc for 5 days in a row in laying hens caused reduction in fertility and hatchability of eggs for almost a month after, so not sure what the max would be that would cause no issues, so would avoid that one. I usually give 800 mg daily, so if you can cut those tablets into thirds, I'd give 1 1/3 a day. If they won't cut that way, just give one.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0032579119356391

Personally I would use the one that is just calcium +D. Interesting that the other identifies what form of calcium but this one does not. One study says that 20 mg of zinc for 5 days in a row in laying hens caused reduction in fertility and hatchability of eggs for almost a month after, so not sure what the max would be that would cause no issues, so would avoid that one. I usually give 800 mg daily, so if you can cut those tablets into thirds, I'd give 1 1/3 a day. If they won't cut that way, just give one.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0032579119356391
Thank you so much for all the information! You are so informative! :)

Hello everyone,

I have a leghorn hen that is 2 year & 9 months old and today she was acting very lethargic with her feathers down, tail down. I came to the suspicion that she could of been suffering from vent gleet since her vent is all dirty and wet with this white discharge. I also noticed this oddly big white/clear stuff hanging from her vent (it soon fell off her vent as I was carrying her). Her wattle is nice, big, and brightly red. But she has just been staying/resting in 1 spot a lot. If anyone has suggestions on what she is suffering from/treatments for it, please comment ASAP!

Below are pictures of her vent/poop ⬇️⬇️⬇️ :

Much appreciated,
Valerie
Looks like a possible reproductive issue to me as well. You should take her to the vet or have a mobile vet in your area with experience in birds take a look at your hen. She could possibly need antibiotics if there is an infection.

Looks like a possible reproductive issue to me as well. You should take her to the vet or have a mobile vet in your area with experience in birds take a look at your hen. She could possibly need antibiotics if there is an infection.
Hello Parrot2805, thank you for your suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom