Please help. Did my embryo die?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mary Coleman, May 1, 2016.

1. Mary Coleman

Mary Coleman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2012
    North Eastern Oregon
    I it normal that mine isn't making a sound? I don't think that I've heard it peep once. It is moving though. It's made a little hole to poke it's beak through. [​IMG]

2. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    I've never seen a goose hatching before. That is so cute! Yes, they can be very quiet, especially if they don't have anyone to talk to. As long as there is breathing and movement, then things are probably right on schedule. I'd say it will probably start zipping and hatch out pretty soon.

3. Mary Coleman

Sep 22, 2012
    North Eastern Oregon
    I hope so! I've read that it can take up to two or three days to hatch. I don't want to miss it, but I'm not sure if it will even hatch tonight. But yes it is very cute. I'm sure that it'll be even cuter when it comes out of that egg. ;)

4. Mary Coleman

Sep 22, 2012
    North Eastern Oregon
    Well he's still just hangin out with his beak poking through. This is normal that he's taking so long? I've read it can take up to 3 days to hatch... He's still just sitting in there with his beak moving side to side as he breaths. No need to worry right?? [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    I've not hatched geese, but done many, many ducks, lol... as long as it doesn't seem distressed it should be fine... is it making yawning motions? That's a sign it's still absorbing yolk... try peeping at it to encourage it to respond...

Waterfowl do take their sweet time hatching, btw... :)

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  6. Mary Coleman

Sep 22, 2012
    North Eastern Oregon
    He's kind of opening and closing his mouth quickly every now and again. Is this the yawning you're referring to? :) and oh trust me I've been talking to him for the past day and a half haha. He does move more when I do talk to him.

7. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Yep, that's it! Sounds like it is doing what it needs to so far... and any response when you talk to it is great... just keep an eye on it for seeming weak or distressed...

8. Mary Coleman

Sep 22, 2012
    North Eastern Oregon
    He's started to form these yellow crystal looking things around the edges of his beak. What is this and is it a bad sign? [​IMG]

9. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Looks like he's gonna be sticky and gooey... that is excess fluid from not losing eniugh moisture in the egg while incubating... watch for that gooey getting around his nares... you may need to assist him out when he's ready cuz that stuff ennds up like glue when it dries up like that...

10. Mary Coleman

Sep 22, 2012
    North Eastern Oregon
    I can see one of his nostrils and it's clean and fine. I think that it's just around his bill. He can still open and close it just fine... I just don't want to interfere and mess something up.... So long as he can open his bill and his nostrils are clean should he be fine?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by