Please help! Do I need to put coconut oil on pip?

Pics
If you get stuck or slow chickies, you can give them some electrolytes using a paintbrush as long as you can see the beak. They can sometimes take so long to hatch that they become too dehydrated and weak to get out. Giving them some pedialyte with a little honey can turn this around in a heartbeat, as long as you do it slowly and give their beaks time to stop moving between drops. In my experience they are always really eager to drink and usually make it with this help! Sorry I didn't see your thread sooner.

If you get stuck or slow chickies, you can give them some electrolytes using a paintbrush as long as you can see the beak. They can sometimes take so long to hatch that they become too dehydrated and weak to get out. Giving them some pedialyte with a little honey can turn this around in a heartbeat, as long as you do it slowly and give their beaks time to stop moving between drops. In my experience they are always really eager to drink and usually make it with this help! Sorry I didn't see your thread sooner.
Thank you for this tip! I appreciate you sharing with me.

I got them moved into the NR360. I just can't sleep knowinh how the temp basically does whatever. The NR360 has a more stable temp. Hopefully this doesn't hurt them. Another one has externally pipped and 2 more have internally pipped. So for Day 18 chicks, 1 has hatched, 2 have externally pipped and 2have internally pipped. The Temps were definitely spiking in spite of trying to check the temp often.

I got them moved into the NR360. I just can't sleep knowinh how the temp basically does whatever. The NR360 has a more stable temp. Hopefully this doesn't hurt them. Another one has externally pipped and 2 more have internally pipped. So for Day 18 chicks, 1 has hatched, 2 have externally pipped and 2have internally pipped. The Temps were definitely spiking in spite of trying to check the temp often.
Thats good. Sorry, I didn't have much time last night. How is everything now? Your temp must have been riding high throughout incubation if they're hatching already. That baby is cute ❤

Last edited:
A cute little black chick hatched this morning just before sunrise. I now have 3 external pips and at least 1 internal pip. I'll check them all as soon as I get back from this doctor's appointment.

@MGG for early hatchers, do the same time periods needed before intervention apply? Please tell me if I'm wrong, after internal pip, wait up to 24 hours before assisting by opening air cell (shell only and then first membrane and apply coconut oil to look at veining on inner membrane). After external pip, wait up to 12 hours unless exposed membrane starts to look dry and/or tan. Don't let a zip stall for more than 30 minutes.
I feel like I am wrong but I am just worried because I wasn't expecting these chicks for another 2 days.
Believe it or not, I did check the temp in this incubator on multiple occasions with a thermometer that's been checked for accuracy, throughout this incubation.
Do you think these chicks will be OK to go in with my other latest hatchers?
Thank you so much @MGG

I have 3 hatched & 4 external pips :hmm Poor chicks. I guess I should start looking into any possible problems that I need to watch out for due to this incubation.
Thank you so much for all of your time and help

Back
Top Bottom