Please help! Do I need to put coconut oil on pip?

Pics
The last CCL that hatched does not look anything like the other CCL cockerel. I don't see any barring on the chick whatsoever. It's starting to feather in and I just can't figure out his feathering and why there is no barring. He didn't come from the place that stated a possibility of the CCL being crossed. He is supposed to be pure CCL. I guess we'll have to wait and see. He is doing so well with the younger chicks. That (along with actual age, hahaha) has made a huge difference in the way he acts. He does not act like a baby, as much, anymore. Could be his age or the new chicks helping him. The Spitz still isn't a fan of the new chicks but he will tolerate them
Hmmm. I'll be interested to see pics if/when you get them. No rush though. That silly little Spitz 😂

Awesome! Those breeds are really cool regardless. I hope the Isbar hatches, those birds are awesome.
Yay about the Spitz! I'd love to see some pics of him and the CCLs whenever you have time.
A Polish?!?! :woot
RIRs are dolls. All of the ones I ever had were so sweet. If you spend lots of time with it when it's young it should stay sweet forever. I had one RIR that was such a cuddly girl. But if it's a boy... watch out.

So the boys can be jerks? I have plenty of those already. I believe it is a cockerel but you know that at 2 days old, without vent sexing, it's purely a guess. Someone shared a video with me about the shape of the egg, being a definite factor regarding gender. I just don't believe it. No matter what method, there's a 50/50 chance of being correct, so.....

So the boys can be jerks? I have plenty of those already. I believe it is a cockerel but you know that at 2 days old, without vent sexing, it's purely a guess. Someone shared a video with me about the shape of the egg, being a definite factor regarding gender. I just don't believe it. No matter what method, there's a 50/50 chance of being correct, so.....
Yeah, they can be quite mean. It's not unheard of to have a nice RIR roo, but very uncommon.
That egg thing is such a joke, lol. It has nothing to do with gender. Some people swear by it, but it is merely a guess.
It's like if when hatching speckled eggs, the number of spots determines the gender. I think it's pretty funny.
I'm amazed at how many myths people can come up with. 😂
I like to guess on my chicks too. Though I'm almost always wrong. Lol.

I will get some pics this evening. It's messy and rainy out so I'll probably be out there a while. It might be later tonight before I post them, but I'll get pictures.

Also, I made a post, but I wanted to ask you about this too. You know the heat plate I have and how I'm worried about using it alone? I purchased the heated chicken mat made by farm innovations. Any idea if using them together would produce enough heat for the 2, 3,and 4 day olds? I was thinking of placing the mat on the floor and the plate on top/over it. I do plan making a MHP, but I've got to order the heating pad and I am so worried that I won't order the correct one. Do you always keep a back up heating pad, in case it quits? My last heating pad didn't last long at all, but that was for me and it had the shut off feature.

I keep forgetting to ask, do you still candle every day, once you put eggs in lockdown?

Yeah, they can be quite mean. It's not unheard of to have a nice RIR roo, but very uncommon.
That egg thing is such a joke, lol. It has nothing to do with gender. Some people swear by it, but it is merely a guess.
It's like if when hatching speckled eggs, the number of spots determines the gender. I think it's pretty funny.
I'm amazed at how many myths people can come up with. 😂
I like to guess on my chicks too. Though I'm almost always wrong. Lol.
Yeah, I believe it's a post that has probably had a lot of views and that was probably the reason for it. They wanted views. They're likely not trying to be helpful

I need to contact the company about the Incuview. I started smelling something that smelled like burning. I'm not sure if it was the down in the screen that blocks the fan or if it was something going on with the inner workings of the incubator. I honestly believe that something isn't right with it and it's been wonky since it arrived. I certainly don't blame the company because stuff like that happens all the time but I don't trust it. Hopefully they'll take my word on it and let me send it in. If they don't let it run and keep a thermometer in it for probably a couple of weeks straight, they'll think it's fine. It kept fooling me and I was checking it with my thermoworks pocket thermometer (can't leave it in, just use it to check daily). What it boils down to is its my fault for not having a thermometer to leave in there, but luckily the chicks are ok

I will get some pics this evening. It's messy and rainy out so I'll probably be out there a while. It might be later tonight before I post them, but I'll get pictures.

Also, I made a post, but I wanted to ask you about this too. You know the heat plate I have and how I'm worried about using it alone? I purchased the heated chicken mat made by farm innovations. Any idea if using them together would produce enough heat for the 2, 3,and 4 day olds? I was thinking of placing the mat on the floor and the plate on top/over it. I do plan making a MHP, but I've got to order the heating pad and I am so worried that I won't order the correct one. Do you always keep a back up heating pad, in case it quits? My last heating pad didn't last long at all, but that was for me and it had the shut off feature.

I keep forgetting to ask, do you still candle every day, once you put eggs in lockdown?
Oh, lol that's fine.
Can you post a pic of the mat? It probably will be fine. You'll know if they're cold. If when they come out from under the heat plate they feel warm, they're fine. Just watch them. I think they'll be ok. My heating pad works awesome. I have 2, because I usually have 2 brooders going at once. 1 has been used constantly since April, and is still going great. The other one is my "clean" one for very young chicks. They upgrade to the other stained up one when I send them outside at 2 weeks. They have a sheltered box with the dirty pad in it outside to go in. They have a nice little run too. I love the pads though, they are great. If they should both happen to shut off I have plenty of heat lamps in case.
Yes, I do. Lol. With my half shell thing I don't even have to open the incubator though! But it's much more stressful, because I so want them to live. Tomorrow's day 17!

Yeah, I believe it's a post that has probably had a lot of views and that was probably the reason for it. They wanted views. They're likely not trying to be helpful
Yeah, probably. There's so many chicken falsehoods out there. It makes it hard to find any accurate info. Like the whole float testing for hatching eggs. It's fine to test if eggs are still edible, but not on hatching eggs. It seems everyone does that float test now. It drives me crazy. And all of those people who think hens can't lay eggs without roosters, lol.

I need to contact the company about the Incuview. I started smelling something that smelled like burning. I'm not sure if it was the down in the screen that blocks the fan or if it was something going on with the inner workings of the incubator. I honestly believe that something isn't right with it and it's been wonky since it arrived. I certainly don't blame the company because stuff like that happens all the time but I don't trust it. Hopefully they'll take my word on it and let me send it in. If they don't let it run and keep a thermometer in it for probably a couple of weeks straight, they'll think it's fine. It kept fooling me and I was checking it with my thermoworks pocket thermometer (can't leave it in, just use it to check daily). What it boils down to is its my fault for not having a thermometer to leave in there, but luckily the chicks are ok
Yikes. It's definitely just a faulty unit. Ifint check my NR temp daily, so you're honestly doing better than me. The turner is a pain, always knocks over the thermometers. And I'm worried about rhe thermometer messing up the turner when it tips. So I just leave it out. I turn off the turner for an hour on one or two days a week and check temp. It's always fine.
Maybe they'll replace the unit or refund you.

20200817_212313.jpg

Back
Top Bottom