Please help! Do I need to put coconut oil on pip?

Pics
My Marans Mix, Mally,laid a soft shelled egg tonight that I was able to keep in tact until I got inside. Does this egg look fertilized? I figured it'd be worth looking at instead of it just being a total waste. She also laid a fairy egg that had just a tiny hint of yolk. She'll be getting a calcium boost (Tums) in the morning.
20200709_001309.jpg

My Marans Mix, Mally,laid a soft shelled egg tonight that I was able to keep in tact until I got inside. Does this egg look fertilized? I figured it'd be worth looking at instead of it just being a total waste. She also laid a fairy egg that had just a tiny hint of yolk. She'll be getting a calcium boost (Tums) in the morning.
View attachment 2234524
Yep, looks fertile to me! Do you have oyster shells free choice? What are you feeding her?

Yep, looks fertile to me! Do you have oyster shells free choice? What are you feeding her?

Yes they have oyster shell and grit offered in a dish on the side to eat as needed. She has Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles mixed with Nutrena All flock and before bed, I make her a mash of Nutrena Hearty Hen and water. I would feed them a layer feed all the time but my cockerels share their feeder sometimes.

Yes they have oyster shell and grit offered in a dish on the side to eat as needed. She has Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles mixed with Nutrena All flock and before bed, I make her a mash of Nutrena Hearty Hen and water. I would feed them a layer feed all the time but my cockerels share their feeder sometimes.
Oh ok. I switched to Purina Layena for my hens when I started getting poor quality eggs. It really helped. If I didn't have a rooster I'd feed it all the time. You could maybe separate her and feed it sometimes? Idk.

Oh ok. I switched to Purina Layena for my hens when I started getting poor quality eggs. It really helped. If I didn't have a rooster I'd feed it all the time. You could maybe separate her and feed it sometimes? Idk.

I have been making her nightly mash with Layer feed instead of all flock. I've got 2 eggs that I plan on incubating. I didn't want to incubate one egg, so I plan on setting these 2 and any others she lays in the next 2 days. I've got eggs being shipped from preorders placed a while back, that I was hoping to set along with Mally's. I don't want to wait too long though.

I have been making her nightly mash with Layer feed instead of all flock. I've got 2 eggs that I plan on incubating. I didn't want to incubate one egg, so I plan on setting these 2 and any others she lays in the next 2 days. I've got eggs being shipped from preorders placed a while back, that I was hoping to set along with Mally's. I don't want to wait too long though.
How are the spitzes? Any survivors from the last batch? Hopefully the eggs you're waiting on come soon. What breeds?

How's it going, Heather?
It's going. Starting to climb out of the deep sad hole I was in. I finally candled the Spitz eggs and have one egg developing. One is better than none, so I'm happy to see that. Fancy Nancy is still with us and has her 2 Turken flock mates, thankfully. Not sure what happened with the silkies but I put everything I could into them. I have eggs coming in from pre-orders, so I am still incubating. I haven't checked the other 8, but plan to tomorrow. Thank you for checking in with me. That really means a lot, seriously. I really appreciate you

What do you think about dry hatching?

It's going. Starting to climb out of the deep sad hole I was in. I finally candled the Spitz eggs and have one egg developing. One is better than none, so I'm happy to see that. Fancy Nancy is still with us and has her 2 Turken flock mates, thankfully. Not sure what happened with the silkies but I put everything I could into them. I have eggs coming in from pre-orders, so I am still incubating. I haven't checked the other 8, but plan to tomorrow. Thank you for checking in with me. That really means a lot, seriously. I really appreciate you

What do you think about dry hatching?
Aw. You can do it. Have you candled all of the Spitzes or just the one? Glad Fancy and her friends are well. It's no problem. I was thinking about you. I have to head to bed, but I'll talk about my experience with dry incubation tomorrow. Good night

How are the spitzes? Any survivors from the last batch? Hopefully the eggs you're waiting on come soon. What breeds?
Only 1 spitz developing but I'll take that over none at all. I've been looking for more Spitz eggs and hope to find some good ones soon. I have Seramas in the Brinsea. I know they are notorious for being difficult to hatch but this breeder is in NC, so I was hoping that'd make a difference. I also have Brabanter's (6 Cream & 6 Gold) coming in later this week. I am supposed to pick up more silkie eggs from a local breeder later this week too. All of these are from pre-orders placed weeks back. I'm glad that they're coming though. It's making me keep going and learning and deep down, it's what I want to do, but my heart doesn't want to as much

Back
Top Bottom