Please help! Do I need to put coconut oil on pip?

Pics
I didn't see what the Spitz was doing whenever he made his questionable noise but it was like a well tuned screech. I messaged the lady that I purchased the Spitz eggs from and asked her about him hatching out solid black except for under his vent, his chest and chin area being white. She said that all of hers hatch out this way but then feather in with white and black. I did find some black Spitz, but I'm not sure about them. I guess we'll see. He sure is a cutie either way. All 3 of these chicks are the calmest chicks. Loud noises startle them but otherwise they just do their thing, sleep, poop, eat, poop, drink, poop, repeat.

I candled before coming to work and the CCL egg is shadowing this morning. I'll keep a check on it throughout the day.

I didn't see what the Spitz was doing whenever he made his questionable noise but it was like a well tuned screech. I messaged the lady that I purchased the Spitz eggs from and asked her about him hatching out solid black except for under his vent, his chest and chin area being white. She said that all of hers hatch out this way but then feather in with white and black. I did find some black Spitz, but I'm not sure about them. I guess we'll see. He sure is a cutie either way. All 3 of these chicks are the calmest chicks. Loud noises startle them but otherwise they just do their thing, sleep, poop, eat, poop, drink, poop, repeat.

I candled before coming to work and the CCL egg is shadowing this morning. I'll keep a check on it throughout the day.
Lol. I wonder what he was doing. Maybe calling mama (you) 😂
That's pretty interesting. I'm interested in seeing how he feathers out too. Ok.
Also, I thought 3 CCLs had hatched? Did something happen to one of them? Just curious.

I had 3 CCL in total and realized that one of them was a couple of days behind the other two :) Still waiting. It's possible that I am wrong and set it later than I thought. There is some movement whenever I shine a light on the egg, so it's acting more like the others did at Day 20. It's certainly possible since I wasn't writing the date on the egg at that time

Would you believe that CCL eggs that hatched yesterday came to me (in NC) from CA?!?! After thinking about the chances I had to look into it again. Sure enough, they were shipped from California!

I had 3 CCL in total and realized that one of them was a couple of days behind the other two :) Still waiting. It's possible that I am wrong and set it later than I thought. There is some movement whenever I shine a light on the egg, so it's acting more like the others did at Day 20. It's certainly possible since I wasn't writing the date on the egg at that time

Would you believe that CCL eggs that hatched yesterday came to me (in NC) from CA?!?! After thinking about the chances I had to look into it again. Sure enough, they were shipped from California!
Ok, that makes sense. I bet it's getting close then. Any shadowing?
That's pretty incredible. Very good hatch rate for being shipped all the way across the country.
Did they get the Newcastle disease under control in California yet?

There was shadowing this morning! I believe the quarantine has been lifted for CA due to that virus. I will have to look into now because I am a bit freaked out to be completely honest. THANK YOU for mentioning it. I seriously appreciate it. I wouldn't want to have to worry about it months from now, if anyone came up sick. You're so awesome. What would I do without you?

There was shadowing this morning! I believe the quarantine has been lifted for CA due to that virus. I will have to look into now because I am a bit freaked out to be completely honest. THANK YOU for mentioning it. I seriously appreciate it. I wouldn't want to have to worry about it months from now, if anyone came up sick. You're so awesome. What would I do without you?
Yay!
Maybe contact the seller and ask if they've had any illness pop up in their flocks. Aw, you're so sweet. It's no problem. It just crossed my mind when I read California in your post. I hope the CCL hatches soon! I bet he'll internally pip tomorrow. Do you have any pics of your CCL female from today? Are her features darkening up?

Yay!
Maybe contact the seller and ask if they've had any illness pop up in their flocks. Aw, you're so sweet. It's no problem. It just crossed my mind when I read California in your post. I hope the CCL hatches soon! I bet he'll internally pip tomorrow. Do you have any pics of your CCL female from today? Are her features darkening up?

My daughter and I had the little Serama out to get some better pictures because the seller was asking me why I thought it was a cockerel and asked to see pictures of the stance and whatever else. So I have these large disposable towels that I put down on the floor (just in hopes of protecting the babies from any germs or sickness. We also wash our hands and arms really well and change our shirts. The Serama is receiving a round of Corid just because it was here when I lost Raymona but didn't come in contact with her or anywhere she was. Today was Day 7 for everyone's Corid Treatment) and let the Serama walk around while we played with it and took pictures. Before I knew it, my daughter had the 2 CCL chicks out there. So I'll be keeping a close eye on them, but honestly, I believe their risk from that is so incredibly minimal. The Serama has been in the bathroom since it was taken out of the incubator and the door is closed unless we are tending to it or the new chicks that are also in the bathroom. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of the hopeful pullet CCL because I was freaking out and by the time I calmed down and thought things through, they had been out of the brooder (heat) long enough. I will get some pictures of them tomorrow. I know it's a LONG wait, but if I have a pair, I'd love to send you some eggs, if you'd like. What state are you in? I ordered a half dozen Spitz eggs today. If you'd like the link, I'm happy to share it. I guess we'll have to see about this one that just hatched. I asked the seller that I just purchased from today and they said that a black chick will hatch occasionally. The seller that I purchased that specific egg from said that's how all of hers hatch and they feather in correctly. I guess time will tell, but it does appear to be getting the Spitz Mohawk, slightly. I'm guessing that it didn't dry and fluff up like the rest of the body did. The top of the head has a stiff feeling to it. I'm sure it will fluff out within the next few days

Also, whenever I went back to check on the location that the hatched CCL eggs came from, I read back over the description (I remember reading it before I purchased but it's slipped my mind since then) and the seller mentioned that there is one hen in the flock that is a CCL and a true rumpless Auracana (? Sp?) cross. It stated that there was a chance of hatching out her egg (seller provided many extras to compensate for this). The two eggs that hatched were both pretty much identical in color, but I guess there's a chance of a cross. Seller stated that they couldn't take the hen away from her friends (and I completely understand) and she couldn't tell the cross' eggs from the pure eggs. So there's that. I am still happy with my two chicks and utterly shocked that they hatched. The air cells in these eggs looked HORRIBLE. I didn't expect any hatchers due to the traveled distance and the quality of the air cells upon arrival and they didn't look any better after resting for 24 hours.

My daughter and I had the little Serama out to get some better pictures because the seller was asking me why I thought it was a cockerel and asked to see pictures of the stance and whatever else. So I have these large disposable towels that I put down on the floor (just in hopes of protecting the babies from any germs or sickness. We also wash our hands and arms really well and change our shirts. The Serama is receiving a round of Corid just because it was here when I lost Raymona but didn't come in contact with her or anywhere she was. Today was Day 7 for everyone's Corid Treatment) and let the Serama walk around while we played with it and took pictures. Before I knew it, my daughter had the 2 CCL chicks out there. So I'll be keeping a close eye on them, but honestly, I believe their risk from that is so incredibly minimal. The Serama has been in the bathroom since it was taken out of the incubator and the door is closed unless we are tending to it or the new chicks that are also in the bathroom. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of the hopeful pullet CCL because I was freaking out and by the time I calmed down and thought things through, they had been out of the brooder (heat) long enough. I will get some pictures of them tomorrow. I know it's a LONG wait, but if I have a pair, I'd love to send you some eggs, if you'd like. What state are you in? I ordered a half dozen Spitz eggs today. If you'd like the link, I'm happy to share it. I guess we'll have to see about this one that just hatched. I asked the seller that I just purchased from today and they said that a black chick will hatch occasionally. The seller that I purchased that specific egg from said that's how all of hers hatch and they feather in correctly. I guess time will tell, but it does appear to be getting the Spitz Mohawk, slightly. I'm guessing that it didn't dry and fluff up like the rest of the body did. The top of the head has a stiff feeling to it. I'm sure it will fluff out within the next few days
Aw, haha! I wouldn't write off the serama as a boy just yet. He sounds very loved, lol. Yeah, I wouldn't worry about Newcastle's much at all. I think they'll be just fine.
That's totally fine about the pics.
It will be quite a while, lol, but I would absolutely love some eggs if it is a pair. I'd probably want to wait until my hen went broody though, so she could raise them with the flock. Although I'd let her sit in false eggs and incubate them myself until hatch probably. I don't entirely trust her yet.
I'm all the way out in South Dakota. If they're packaged well (which I'm sure you're capable of, lol) they should be just fine though.
That's cool about the Spitzs! Hopefully you'll get some out of this batch.
I'm overrun with chicks at the moment, so probably not hatching any more this year. Thank you though.
I'll just have to live vicariously through you! Lol. The little Spitz sounds cute. Have you named him?

Also, whenever I went back to check on the location that the hatched CCL eggs came from, I read back over the description (I remember reading it before I purchased but it's slipped my mind since then) and the seller mentioned that there is one hen in the flock that is a CCL and a true rumpless Auracana (? Sp?) cross. It stated that there was a chance of hatching out her egg (seller provided many extras to compensate for this). The two eggs that hatched were both pretty much identical in color, but I guess there's a chance of a cross. Seller stated that they couldn't take the hen away from her friends (and I completely understand) and she couldn't tell the cross' eggs from the pure eggs. So there's that. I am still happy with my two chicks and utterly shocked that they hatched. The air cells in these eggs looked HORRIBLE. I didn't expect any hatchers due to the traveled distance and the quality of the air cells upon arrival and they didn't look any better after resting for 24 hours.
Hm, that's interesting. It would probably be an awesome cross, honestly. Time will tell. You did awesome with these eggs. I'm so glad they hatched. They're really cute.
I'm excited to watch them grow!

Back
Top Bottom