Please help! Do I need to put coconut oil on pip?

Pics
He seems to be doing well this morning. It's taking forever for him to fluff up because the humidity is finally staying up (after I actually needed it to, hahaha). I thought about trying to remove some of the water by soaking it back up through the water ports with a paper towel but I might just leave it so he can rest. I turned the lights off last night and I believe he finally got some uninterrupted rest but he is still tired.
Mally's chick is tired still this morning too. That chick is so cute! It's actually more cute than I imagined. I'm very excited to see how this chick feathers out.
Thank you for asking and thank you for helping! I am so grateful for your help.
That's great. Yeah, they'll be tired for a little while. Hatching is hard business, lol.
I'd love to see pics of them all later when they're more alert.
I'd love to see pics of the two other CCLs too.
This CCL is a male, right?

That's great. Yeah, they'll be tired for a little while. Hatching is hard business, lol.
I'd love to see pics of them all later when they're more alert.
I'd love to see pics of the two other CCLs too.
This CCL is a male, right?
Yes, it's a boy. He is still in the incubator. I'm worried that the older chicks will pick on him since he has some membrane stuck on his neck and he still hasn't fluffed up, but seems to be dry. He is able to stand His naval might need attention. Is it safe to use a little bit of neosporine back there? There was some blood hanging from it right after hatching but now it looks like he has a small spot of something that is almost white. Should i wait and see if it's going to need anything?

Yes, it's a boy. He is still in the incubator. I'm worried that the older chicks will pick on him since he has some membrane stuck on his neck and he still hasn't fluffed up, but seems to be dry. He is able to stand His naval might need attention. Is it safe to use a little bit of neosporine back there? There was some blood hanging from it right after hatching but now it looks like he has a small spot of something that is almost white. Should i wait and see if it's going to need anything?
Can you post a pic of the navel? I think it will be ok. Triple antibiotic ointment is what is usually used on rough navels, but Neosporin should be ok. I would maybe give him a bit of time before applying anything. He can go in the brooder whenever. Just monitor him, and if there's any picking just stick him back in the incubator for a bit. You can work on getting the membrane off too. It will usually wear off on its own over time though.

The string looking piece isn't coming out of his vent. It's a piece of the membrane that was stuck to my hand and somehow ended up on him
20200811_143035.jpg

The string looking piece isn't coming out of his vent. It's a piece of the membrane that was stuck to my hand and somehow ended up on him
View attachment 2286088
My quail runt was just like that, looked like it was still attached by cord there when it hatched, when the cord dried and came off it left, just like yours, a white extrusion, it was dry and solid to the touch. I wiped it often with a damp cloth and nothing happened, on the third morning it was just gone. Chick is now fine and normal.

The same chick was shrink wrapped and I assisted in the hatch, it was covered in goo which I found hard to remove. After nearly a day of no improvement and it felt like the clumpy gooey fluff was hard and it was difficult for the chick to move, I held it in a small bowl of warm water and gently rubbed the body. I would do this only for a couple minutes, then returned it to the incubator to dry, after a few cycles of this he started to fluff. It wasn’t perfectly clean, but enough to move around without sticky feathers, and the head goo eventually wore off in its own. The chick is 1 week now and completely normal.

My quail runt was just like that, looked like it was still attached by cord there when it hatched, when the cord dried and came off it left, just like yours, a white extrusion, it was dry and solid to the touch. I wiped it often with a damp cloth and nothing happened, on the third morning it was just gone. Chick is now fine and normal.

The same chick was shrink wrapped and I assisted in the hatch, it was covered in goo which I found hard to remove. After nearly a day of no improvement and it felt like the clumpy gooey fluff was hard and it was difficult for the chick to move, I held it in a small bowl of warm water and gently rubbed the body. I would do this only for a couple minutes, then returned it to the incubator to dry, after a few cycles of this he started to fluff. It wasn’t perfectly clean, but enough to move around without sticky feathers, and the head goo eventually wore off in its own. The chick is 1 week now and completely normal.

Thank you for these tips

So I used some of this advice, so thanks again! I took the chick out to the brooder and this little guy is so fussy that the others were a bit terrified with him in there. I decided to bring him back in because I wasn't sure if the stuck on membrane was hurting him or what the problem was. I didn't put him in a bowl of water, but I did warm up a small bowl of water and had a jar of coconut oil too. I alternated between the warm water and the coconut oil on the now hardened membrane and a chunk of shell. I was able to get the shell off first and then with just a tiny bit more water, the membrane slipped off. He is back in the incubator getting his neck dried off. I wonder if the shell was poking him and if the membrane was pulling at his down as it was really stuck on there. The membrane actually made him unable to get the shell off of his head. I actually had to break the shell and rip the membrane to free him during hatch. Hopefully he'll start to feel better once he is dried and can meet his brooder mates again very soon. I definitely feel much better about him now that he is membrane free.
A few days after my Serama hatched (experienced shrink wrapping on her head and neck) I was able to just wipe the dried and shriveled up membrane out of her down. I used coconut oil on her head to remove the membrane as it was on a tiny part of her eyelid. I can see how that kills chicks before they're able to hatch or during hatch. This has certainly been a learning experience.
@MGG do you think this chick would have been OK if I didn't intervene in the beginning? I'm just wondering if I made the right choice in assisting him when I did. I guess we wouldn't have known how malpositioned he was. Next time a zip stalls, I'll definitely be on the lookout for malpositioning and shrink wrapping. I am confident that I would have lost this chick without your help. I can't thank you enough

Back
Top Bottom