Please help. Duck eggs day 28.

Yes , this is our first time. We had a new incubator and made the mistake of no additional thermometer, just went off of what it said. The two that are partially out are breathing and moving a bit but aren't opening their eyes. No progress with the other eggs.

If there is blood please stop. Seeing blood means it’s not ready. All blood needs to be absorbed alomg with the yolk before it’s ready to hatch. Waterfowl take much longer than chicken eggs sometimes up to 48+ from external pip to hatch.

These are an informative read ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/
Thank you for this information. I really wish I had seen this earlier. We never really had any externally pip. So I'm nut sure on the timing. We went from internal pips and safety holes to brown marks on shells. That's when I got panicky and started to open the egg. I had stopped with the one when I saw blood. I had to leave shortly after for an appointment. Unfortunately my daughter came home and decided to "help" further widening my safety holes to a larger hole about the size of a thumb print. (There are still a few with just safety holes.) I can see all their beaks chewing and breathing. I'm worried they will dry out or something, and now I guess they won't unzip since they have a hole. The two that were assisted were left in shell but they are kicking them off. They are a bit more veiny than the picture and the one had a little yolk left mostly gone but stuck to the shell and still attached at the umbilical. Their eyes aren't opening. We are at 29 days. Thank you for your help.

Update. The two that were out, are now running around the bater, eyes open looking good 😊!!! The ones with the widened safety hole I carefully used a bit of coconut oil and a q tip to moisten the exposed membrane. They have been same no progress for 24 hours. While the 2 ducks ran around the were rocking and rolling the other eggs which i read was fine and not to intervene. Though 2 of the eggs they turned I noticed large brown spots on bottom away from air cell and could here them pecking. I carefully removed a small spot of shell , and they were both hitting the outer egg membrane I carefully made a small spot in that to find them through the inner membrane so they can both get air now I'm pretty sure. Since they are trying to get out the wrong side how long should I let them be before I should intervene? Thank you!!

The second picture is where I opened it at the brown spot on bottom of egg away from air cell. Ducks beak is right there.
Third picture is one that had internally pipped and my daughter opened up safety hole. Membrane has coconut oil on it.

Please let me know if I need to assist further.
I understand we have made many mistakes with this first hatch! If there is another hatch I will not be intervening like this!!

Attachments

• 16813065723292393075803873378434.jpg
    16813065723292393075803873378434.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 16813066073385563063276007776715.jpg
    16813066073385563063276007776715.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 16813067842471917150665807568902.jpg
    16813067842471917150665807568902.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 21
Update. The two that were out, are now running around the bater, eyes open looking good 😊!!! The ones with the widened safety hole I carefully used a bit of coconut oil and a q tip to moisten the exposed membrane. They have been same no progress for 24 hours. While the 2 ducks ran around the were rocking and rolling the other eggs which i read was fine and not to intervene. Though 2 of the eggs they turned I noticed large brown spots on bottom away from air cell and could here them pecking. I carefully removed a small spot of shell , and they were both hitting the outer egg membrane I carefully made a small spot in that to find them through the inner membrane so they can both get air now I'm pretty sure. Since they are trying to get out the wrong side how long should I let them be before I should intervene? Thank you!!

The second picture is where I opened it at the brown spot on bottom of egg away from air cell. Ducks beak is right there.
Third picture is one that had internally pipped and my daughter opened up safety hole. Membrane has coconut oil on it.

Please let me know if I need to assist further.
I understand we have made many mistakes with this first hatch! If there is another hatch I will not be intervening like this!!
If any babies are trying to get out the wrong end it takes longer as they skipped the air cell step so that 24 hours gets added on
Wish I had seen this post yesterday as I wouldn’t have told you to assist yet
Don’t worry about day 28 as it’s a general but not always the case
Your bator could have been off a little causing later hatching
Babies take 48-72 hours to hatch
Give them time to absorb

T
If any babies are trying to get out the wrong end it takes longer as they skipped the air cell step so that 24 hours gets added on
Wish I had seen this post yesterday as I wouldn’t have told you to assist yet
Don’t worry about day 28 as it’s a general but not always the case
Your bator could have been off a little causing later hatching
Babies take 48-72 hours to hatch
Give them time to absorb
Don’t widen the holes more as they will end up pushing out before they are ready
Make sure humidity is around 65-70 and use Vaseline on the membrane as it last longer then oil does
Watching them for chewing motion that’s them absorbing
For the wrong end baby you did the right thing making a hole in he bruise
Although I make only a tiny hole for first 24 hours then leave the egg
When I assist now I keep the holes as small as possible then I don’t need to wet membrane and be in and out of the bator
Mine take 50-60 hours
Be patient

Hate to open it up again, but should I go back in with the Vaseline soon? I put the oil on about 45min ago. Thank you for the info!!
Also, how long should I leave the 2 ducklings in with the eggs. I'd say it's only been about 12 hours or so that they've been fully out of the shell, the bottom of the shell was on the for a good bit. Thank you again!!

Back
Top Bottom