Please help, duckling pipped wrong end of egg :(

MotherDucker3

Chirping
May 28, 2021
Day 26 and my duckling has pipped but on the opposite end of the aircell and at the bottom of the egg... Only some egg shell is broken but looks like he's trying to get through membrane currently. From what I read they are supposed to pip in the aircell. So I'm very worried...Someone please tell me he can still hatch successfully. Video below

This article covers the same predicament. I suggest reading it and then reading it again, just to clarify. There are risks involved with assisting a hatch, but there is also a risk whenever a chick does this. Please let us know if you have any questions. If I can't help, we'll find someone that's able to. This article is amazing and I read it every time it's getting close to hatch date.
Where is the article? is there a link?

Have you candled the egg since it pipped? I'll tag some others to help. I'm not sure if this egg needs to be turned for it's pip to be upwards or not. Also, I'm not sure how high the humidity needs to be bumped up to keep this duckling from shrink wrapping but also keep your others safe without drowning them. I'd bump the humidity up to at the very least 50-60%

Edited to add : if you do candle, try to candle it without moving the egg so you don't disorient the duckling. If you make the room dark, it's sometimes possible to candle from the outside of the incubator and you don't even have to open it
This is actually the only duckling I have in the incubator. I started with 4 eggs and only one turned out to be fertile

I had a chick that pipped like this (wrong end so internal and external pip are the same in one) and I left it alone once I realized that it had access to air. I kept humidity up and it ended up hatching without any assistance, which is common. The main problem is whenever they're unable to penetrate the shell, which ends up not able to get air. This shows up as a bruise and is often and easily overlooked. I'm still not sure if this one should be turned for the pip to be upwards. I know that @MGG has a busy summer planned so that's probably why she hasn't replied.
He's still doing good. Little bill is sticking out and I think hes chewing/yawning. I know they take forever to hatch. I'm just so impatient lol. I'm at work today so I have a baby camera up watching the egg lol...

He's here!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210618_145127_808.jpg
    IMG_20210618_145127_808.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 3
This article covers the same predicament. I suggest reading it and then reading it again, just to clarify. There are risks involved with assisting a hatch, but there is also a risk whenever a chick does this. Please let us know if you have any questions. If I can't help, we'll find someone that's able to. This article is amazing and I read it every time it's getting close to hatch date.

Back
Top Bottom