please help! Egg bound hen.

Cacklin'hen

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 15, 2010
Steamboat Springs, Co.
one of my BO hens is egg bound. she has two eggs that are bound and are protruding out of her vent. the first one seems to be stuck to the membrane. there are also some tears in t protruding membrane. i can't seem to free the first egg. ican push the second egg back in but the first egg wont budge. is there any thing to be done?
sad.png

Not sure if this will work for an eggbound hen as I haven't had that happen yet but it worked amazingly well with my BO that prolapsed. Grab a couple latex gloves and a jar of honey. Separate some of the honey into a bowl, then have another person hold the hen tail side facing you (like a football). This is going to be messy so you'll have to wash her afterwards. Put some honey on the end of one finger and spread it around the vent and stuck egg to lubricate it. Hopefully, it will unstick the egg and you can remove it. Be extremely careful though, if the egg breaks I don't think there's anything you can do for her. If you are successful removing the first egg, try to get the other one out as well. The honey will serve as an antibiotic and she prolapses as a result of getting the eggs out, it will help push things back in. Good luck and keep us posted!

After i posted and searched threads to look for advice i went back out to give her a bath. she was in a nest box and there was one bloody egg on the floor her prolapse was much smaller but very bloody. she must have passed both eggs as i couldn't feel either. she's isolated comfy and warm but i fear she won't recover.

The prolapse may go back in after the swelling goes down. Just keep her separated, keep her vent clean and I've had good luck with Prep H smeared on after cleaning. Keep the crate or whatever you're keeping her in dark, to discourage egg laying. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom