Please help! Egg cracked by hen and chick is not moving

MysticHedgeMama

Chirping
Mar 16, 2021
Please help me figure out what I need to do. This egg was chirping and moving all day long yesterday. I could even hear it piping internally as there wasn’t a crack yet. This morning I found broody momma off of her eggs and it was cool to touch. There were still no piping holes. I put broody back in her box because I was worried it had gotten too cool (it got in the 50s last night). After several hours I went to go check on the egg and it looks like this. It looks like momma hen maybe pecked it because there are large exterior cracks. The chick is not moving and I can actually see it’s beak in the air pocket.. looks like it’s beak is stuck in the membrane but still no movement. Is the chick gone?
3CF114AB-0D54-4BF3-80F9-F1B8BA653E2F.jpeg

I did try to move it and it didn’t move at all. I have the egg now sitting in a warm wash cloth over a hot bowl of water to try and induce more humidity and warmth.

The chick did not make it. Must have passed sometime over night. Looks like it had mushy chick disease. Should I be worried about this being this egg was sitting under a broody hen?

The chick did not make it. Must have passed sometime over night. Looks like it had mushy chick disease. Should I be worried about this being this egg was sitting under a broody hen?
I'm only saying yes bc I lost my entire last hatch from it. When they hatch, check to see that the yolk is fully absorbed & belly buttons are closed.

Back
Top Bottom