PLEASE HELP !! EGGBOUND HEN

Thanks for replying. I think she may have egg periontitis. I found a thread : https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis, that explained this. She gave her henDURAMYCIN-10 , an antibiotic. She also links a youtube video explaining this:
. I will probably pick this up and try it because I have no other option. There are no avian vets in my area so I am on my own.
Sorry if that is what is wrong with her. It is very common with hatchery chickens because they are bred to be super egg layers. You can try treating with antibiotics, but it may or may not help. If your local regular vet could prescribe some strong antibiotics such as Baytril, it might help. Procaine Penicillin G is available from most feed stores refrigerated, and you can get needles and syringes to give her shots. If you look up some of SpeckledHen's posts on BYC, she has had a great deal of experience with EYP.

any update Jane38? I hope your girl is better. Mine is still not well. Her back end is really swollen and she is now sensitive to the touch. I have been providing hot baths etc. and water with electrolytes and duramycin. no improvement. I wish I had a magic wand!

KFay:

Can I purchase those at a Paris Farmers or Tractor Supply Co? Have you seen a vet at all? We have no vets that do chickens. Do you feel an egg or anything?

I found that vets in my area don't advertise that they treat chickens, but some actually do. You could call different offices and ask - even if its not common for them, they may have experience. Good luck.

In vet school they have to do rounds on all animals. Then choose specialty. That is what makes being a vet so difficult, they are literally tested on information for all animals! God bless them! I did call around myself and found one 45 minutes away. My husband was not thrilled that I a spending money at a vet for a chicken but it is literally our first chicken and my mother's favorite. She does not look good but amazingly still alive. I just fear she is in pain. Poor young lady. Off to TSC. My oyster shell bucket is now buried under a huge snow drift. I have been feeding them scrambled eggs with crushed egg shell but time to get oyster shell and more feed.

Back
Top Bottom