Fowl0909

Chirping
Aug 23, 2020
I have hatched peacock eggs for a couple of years now and have always had good hatch rates. Usually I have a 90% hatch rate but lately I have had about 25%. Pretty much all of the eggs are fertile and seem healthy right up till it’s time to hatch and then they die. They don’t even internally pip, I monitor the heat and humidity closely and it was perfect through the incubation period. This all started happening when I got my 1502 sportsman incubator, it seems to work perfectly so I can’t figure out if it’s the incubator or if it’s the eggs. I was wondering if this could be an egg turning issue? There was a few times when I accidentally left the egg turner off for a day or two before I realized. It breaks my heart to have to throw away fully developed eggs that didn’t hatch but I have more hatching and I want to prevent this if I can. I don’t know if this is related but a few of the chicks that have hatched have problems with their legs like curled toes and one even had a leg in the wrong spot, but this may be unrelated to the dead eggs. I appreciate any help!

I have hatched peacock eggs for a couple of years now and have always had good hatch rates. Usually I have a 90% hatch rate but lately I have had about 25%. Pretty much all of the eggs are fertile and seem healthy right up till it’s time to hatch and then they die. They don’t even internally pip, I monitor the heat and humidity closely and it was perfect through the incubation period. This all started happening when I got my 1502 sportsman incubator, it seems to work perfectly so I can’t figure out if it’s the incubator or if it’s the eggs. I was wondering if this could be an egg turning issue? There was a few times when I accidentally left the egg turner off for a day or two before I realized. It breaks my heart to have to throw away fully developed eggs that didn’t hatch but I have more hatching and I want to prevent this if I can. I don’t know if this is related but a few of the chicks that have hatched have problems with their legs like curled toes and one even had a leg in the wrong spot, but this may be unrelated to the dead eggs. I appreciate any help!
I’m more of a chicken person but if you time it right could it be possible to make a crack in the egg when it’s fully developed to see if it helps it hatch or something

Some thoughts:
Leg in the wrong places - genetics issue?
Curled toes, weak legs - Nurtitional problems, get vitamin e in them asap after hatching and have it on standby.
Sounds to me like it could be too high humidity, they are drowning before they can pip and zip.

NOT an expert however.

'still births' ive noticed are more common than they used to be .. i used to hardly ever see them, but lately using the same methods i always have, there will be one or two in every batch depending on size of batch ... im pretty sure its the feed .. scary thing is infant mortality and birth rate decline numbers are way up in humans to ...

Back
Top Bottom