Please Help - Found Chicken Lying on its Side, Will not/Cannot Walk

Hi All,

Today I found one of my chickens (13 weeks old) lying on the ground and not able to get up. She was awake but as the other chickens walked on top of her legs, she couldn't move her legs to get them off or even complain as they "trampled" on her. I picked her up and gave her a warm bath and visually inspected her but found no signs of trauma. She definitely favors her left side/leg because when I put her down on her left side to try to wash her right side, she immediately flipped over and flapped her wings in protest.

She is eating but not really drinking. I made a mash so that she could get some fluids. She hasn't pooped since she has been quarantined so I haven't seen her poop to inspect for worms of if her poop is abnormal. As I was rinsing her off, I thought I noticed a very runny poop but wasn't sure if it was just the "wash off" (she was literally lying down in some poop when I found her).

Here is a video of her in her quarantine space:

Her "hurt leg" twitches sometimes as she tries to move it. However, generally speaking, she doesn't move it. Also, her toes are curled on that leg (similar to chicks that take too long to hatch and need booties). However, she has always walked around without any problems and developed normally.

I also inspected the coop and couldn't find any evidence of predators getting in.

Any ideas? Worms? Lice? Mites? Is that the standard check first? I just wasn't sure if they would cause her not to be able to walk. Something else? A disease? I have no idea. I have to do more research. Thank you everyone.
I'm looking for answers on this too I have a hen laying on her side - however there are 2 differences: 1. She can kick well enough, and 2. She's about 3 years old. She's also absolutely starving!

I noticed that she was struggling to walk more and more over the last day or two and at bedtime she lay on the floor of the coop and couldn't get onto a perch so I put her in the hospital with food (spiked with antibiotics) and water. This morning I went down early to check her to find her on her side and hadn't touched this or water. I sprinkled the medicated food near her head and she wolfed down the tinned tuna (my hands go mad for it) so at least she's got some medicine in her.

Going by the comments, of the 3 it would seem she's egg bound? Can anyone explain how you feel about to check for this? I don't want to "poke about" and cause her any more pain than she must already be in.

Back
Top Bottom