PLEASE HELP I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO

Pics
Clipping the wings is about like clipping the nails of a child or a dog, or cutting the hair of a small child: they don't like having it done, but it does not actually hurt them, if you do it right. (I'm sure you know that clipping your own fingernails and hair doesn't hurt.)

Clipped wings do not completely prevent flying, but they make the chickens fly less well.

I've run into a problem, at least in my brain........
View attachment 2228925
If the black part is the current coop, the green part is the current run, the red part is the add on, and the blue is where doors are: If I'm outside the setup, and the chickens are in the red part, how do I get them back in the green part? Is it as simple as just block the doorway with my body as I go in?

Are you assuming the blue door is open between the red and green parts? Then drop a treat into the green run and watch them go in. Or walk up to the red run and watch them move away from you into the green run. (Depends on whether the chickens come toward you or move away from you--either can work, you just have to see what these particular chickens do.)

Or wait until it's almost dark in the evening, and they'll go into the black coop to sleep, and then you can close the door of the green run.

Yes, blocking the door with your body can also work.

Are you assuming the blue door is open between the red and green parts? Then drop a treat into the green run and watch them go in. Or walk up to the red run and watch them move away from you into the green run. (Depends on whether the chickens come toward you or move away from you--either can work, you just have to see what these particular chickens do.)

Or wait until it's almost dark in the evening, and they'll go into the black coop to sleep, and then you can close the door of the green run.

Yes, blocking the door with your body can also work.
Yes, the blue door would be open between the red and green parts. I would probably shut them in just the coop and green run at night. With these chickens, they seem to come toward me when I'm outside the coop, but if I need to shoo them into the run for coop maintenance/egg checking, they don't seem to like my hand. I need advice on how to better predator proof the red part....I'd love to be able to let them have all of the space all of the time. I was figuring that when we are home I'd let them have the red part and the green. I really don't want to ask my parents to buy anything more (hardware cloth) as they've been so nice and gotten this extension. The most I can get is probably a bit of spare chicken wire from a friend. Would a chicken wire apron be ok on the red part for if they're in the green/black part at night? The door would be shut between the two.

Clipping the wings is about like clipping the nails of a child or a dog, or cutting the hair of a small child: they don't like having it done, but it does not actually hurt them, if you do it right. (I'm sure you know that clipping your own fingernails and hair doesn't hurt.)

Clipped wings do not completely prevent flying, but they make the chickens fly less well.
I've seen things that say that if you clip one wing, they can't take off because they are unbalanced..would this be true in practice? I'm glad that it doesn't actually hurt them. If they couldn't fly I think that it would be super good for our situation/setup. I'd look up videos on how to do it and make sure that the hens are comfortable with me.

Yes, the blue door would be open between the red and green parts. I would probably shut them in just the coop and green run at night. With these chickens, they seem to come toward me when I'm outside the coop, but if I need to shoo them into the run for coop maintenance/egg checking, they don't seem to like my hand. I need advice on how to better predator proof the red part....I'd love to be able to let them have all of the space all of the time. I was figuring that when we are home I'd let them have the red part and the green. I really don't want to ask my parents to buy anything more (hardware cloth) as they've been so nice and gotten this extension. The most I can get is probably a bit of spare chicken wire from a friend. Would a chicken wire apron be ok on the red part for if they're in the green/black part at night? The door would be shut between the two.

Chicken wire apron is better than nothing, so if you can get that for free I'd take it.

As far as "herding" the chickens, do they accept treats yet? Not from your hand, but on the ground. I'd just push a half handful of scratch through the mesh into the green part, and shut the door behind them. My chickens will go anywhere something's being thrown, because they're anticipating food.

I've seen things that say that if you clip one wing, they can't take off because they are unbalanced..would this be true in practice?

Depends on the chicken. Some can still take off and go surprisingly high, some cannot. But it does make each chicken fly less well than that specific chicken could before.

When you're clipping wings, what you really do is cut the end off one feather and another feather and so forth. You don't cut any skin or bone. When the chicken is actively growing new feathers, they have blood in them--so don't do it during the fall molt. But this time of year should be fine.

Chicken wire apron is better than nothing, so if you can get that for free I'd take it.

As far as "herding" the chickens, do they accept treats yet? Not from your hand, but on the ground. I'd just push a half handful of scratch through the mesh into the green part, and shut the door behind them. My chickens will go anywhere something's being thrown, because they're anticipating food.
All 3 red sex links love treats..the leghorn hasn't been going for them as much anymore. The red sex links don't let her get at them and will peck her away. I'm hoping that having more space will solve this issue, so that there's less pressure to peck each other. The chicken wire would be enough? I'm just *quadruple* checking because if my chickens got eaten I would not be able to get through that very well.

Depends on the chicken. Some can still take off and go surprisingly high, some cannot. But it does make each chicken fly less well than that specific chicken could before.

When you're clipping wings, what you really do is cut the end off one feather and another feather and so forth. You don't cut any skin or bone. When the chicken is actively growing new feathers, they have blood in them--so don't do it during the fall molt. But this time of year should be fine.
Yes, I've looked into it enough to know that you don't want to cut into bone. I know that pinfeathers are full of blood-I'm assuming that they don't really like to be touched while moulting either. I'm most worried about my leghorn-I know that they are very skittish and also good fliers. I wouldn't want her to get over the fence (I'm not sure how tall the fence is but I can get an estimate tomorrow)

The chicken wire would be enough? I'm just *quadruple* checking because if my chickens got eaten I would not be able to get through that very well.

Well, realistically when your restriction is "free" sometimes you just do the best you can. It's certainly better than nothing. Hardware cloth would be better mostly to exclude smaller pests like rats.

Other question is how are you planning on attaching it? Attachment method can be the weak point more than the materials chosen sometimes.

Well, realistically when your restriction is "free" sometimes you just do the best you can. It's certainly better than nothing. Hardware cloth would be better mostly to exclude smaller pests like rats.

Other question is how are you planning on attaching it? Attachment method can be the weak point more than the materials chosen sometimes.
I was thinking a staple gun? I don't want to ask for any new materials on this so that is what I'd have.

Back
Top Bottom