PLEASE HELP I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO

Pics
Boy, I'm glad I put a roof on the run..it's POURING rain! I don't have doubts about the structural soundness of the coop, just the size. It should survive the rain just fine! Uh oh...I think I left my crazy creek out there...RIP

I could probably do some tall fencing with a tarp to cover...this would have to be temporary. I specifically didn't want leghorns because they are very skittish, but here we are. Any fencing wouldn't be for free ranging at this point-just a 'safety net' for if they get out. Do you think that my best bet would be to move them to a dog crate or something of the sort so I can move things around? We got a puppy playpen to use that is about 4 feet high, but it will not work apparently. I don't want to train them to be afraid of me in any way, but I also don't want them to escape.
I'm late to this answer and I suspect you've had several excellent answers already, but I wanted to say two things - one, you can actually buy a lid made for a puppy pen - I have one I use over ex-pens when I need temporary holding for birds, and it doubles as a barrier from time to time as well; and, as far as leghorns, they can be an adjustment, but they are so worth the adjustment. They are easy keepers, produce more eggs per pound of feed than any other breed, and as long as they have enough space, in my experience they have not been inclined to pick at other birds. Those big, beautiful white eggs will be so rewarding :)

I'm late to this answer and I suspect you've had several excellent answers already, but I wanted to say two things - one, you can actually buy a lid made for a puppy pen - I have one I use over ex-pens when I need temporary holding for birds, and it doubles as a barrier from time to time as well; and, as far as leghorns, they can be an adjustment, but they are so worth the adjustment. They are easy keepers, produce more eggs per pound of feed than any other breed, and as long as they have enough space, in my experience they have not been inclined to pick at other birds. Those big, beautiful white eggs will be so rewarding :)
the puppy pen is only 4' high, so putting a lid on it means we can't fit properly! We got an egg from one of the sex links, but no eggs from the leghorn yet. We're going to put in nesting boxes (modified shoeboxes) tomorrow with some fake eggs in them to hopefully get them to lay in the boxes. Apparently the coop doesn't have any, which is annoying. The leghorn has stopped being as scared of me-she used to shy away from my hand, but now tolerates it as my hand has never brought bad things!

Channels?
Yes... a chunnel... chicken tunnels! They are made out of ...chicken wire...hardware cloth... welded wire.... whatever! I made about 50 ft of them from a roll of welded wire from lowes!
I wouldnt use them unless someone can supervise.... they are not predator proof... but, they cant fly away and they go where you want them.
Heres mine....

Attachments

• 20200615_192427_001.jpg
    20200615_192427_001.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 20200615_192635.jpg
    20200615_192635.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • 20200615_192451.jpg
    20200615_192451.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
Yes... a chunnel... chicken tunnels! They are made out of ...chicken wire...hardware cloth... welded wire.... whatever! I made about 50 ft of them from a roll of welded wire from lowes!
I wouldnt use them unless someone can supervise.... they are not predator proof... but, they cant fly away and they go where you want them.
Heres mine....
Thank you both so much for the idea! I think that it's perfect for me, and I had no idea they were a thing. I'll look into it!

It hit me as I was washing dishes and the barn light reflected off of mine! It would fit right up to your little run door...they're perfect! Now, like I said, they arent predator proof... my girls do not like it if we are not home because they cant use their tunnels...so only use them when theres someone around the house. But they are awesome if you cant free range!

Back
Top Bottom