PLEASE HELP I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO

Pics
I saw they asked questions but it was about bantums.
blackcat, I know your young and afraid of having this turn out bad. Maybe it’s best if you DO wait until you can drive and do things in your own for chickens. I am curious, in 3 months you give these chickens(and the coop?) up? What then?

I saw they asked questions but it was about bantums.
blackcat, I know your young and afraid of having this turn out bad. Maybe it’s best if you DO wait until you can drive and do things in your own for chickens. I am curious, in 3 months you give these chickens(and the coop?) up? What then?
In about 2.5 months, I'll sit down with my parents. We'll discuss how things have worked out, and I will try my ABSOLUTE hardest to convince them to let me keep the chickens. The reason it'd be 2.5 months is because I'd need a few weeks to build a better coop. I will make it known that if they can't have a real coop, then I'll give them back. They know how much I want chickens, and hopefully that will convince them to let me build a bigger coop. If things go badly with that discussion, then yes, we give back the coop and chickens, and my heart is broken and I will be very unhappy. I'm doing all of the work caring for the chickens, so I only ask for what I can't do on my own. I'm doing as much of this as possible without help.

I get it,I really do! I fought my hardest to get a dog but sadly never got one until I was an adult on my own. Now that I’m way older I do get where my parents were coming from, chickens/pets take a lot of work.

I am glad thought that I’ve done both while on my own as an adult since basically I could do what I wanted(well as much as my husband was willing to build!) so don’t think of it as a failure if this doesn’t work out. From what I’ve read you didn’t even rent the breed you wanted to begin with and that sucks! Raising them is such a fun, hard, terrifying experience lol but you end up with chickens that you know the history and that they haven’t been around anything “bad”. So worst case you wait a few years, research and save money (i didn’t even real how much the coop and run would be!) and you get what you want.
In about 2.5 months, I'll sit down with my parents. We'll discuss how things have worked out, and I will try my ABSOLUTE hardest to convince them to let me keep the chickens. The reason it'd be 2.5 months is because I'd need a few weeks to build a better coop. I will make it known that if they can't have a real coop, then I'll give them back. They know how much I want chickens, and hopefully that will convince them to let me build a bigger coop. If things go badly with that discussion, then yes, we give back the coop and chickens, and my heart is broken and I will be very unhappy. I'm doing all of the work caring for the chickens, so I only ask for what I can't do on my own. I'm doing as much of this as possible without help.

I get it,I really do! I fought my hardest to get a dog but sadly never got one until I was an adult on my own. Now that I’m way older I do get where my parents were coming from, chickens/pets take a lot of work.

I am glad thought that I’ve done both while on my own as an adult since basically I could do what I wanted(well as much as my husband was willing to build!) so don’t think of it as a failure if this doesn’t work out. From what I’ve read you didn’t even rent the breed you wanted to begin with and that sucks! Raising them is such a fun, hard, terrifying experience lol but you end up with chickens that you know the history and that they haven’t been around anything “bad”. So worst case you wait a few years, research and save money (i didn’t even real how much the coop and run would be!) and you get what you want.
I wanted some easter eggers, the rental didn't have any but we chose barred rocks. They brought us 3 red sex links (which we paid for) (they told us they were RIRs) and one leghorn (free) I'd be more ok with it if I wasn't worried about the competence of the owners and the treatment that the chickens were getting at that farm. They've done several breed mix ups, were late, gave us a chick feeder instead of one for adult chickens, told us there were nest boxes in the coop (there weren't) and all of them have clipped beaks and one is missing a tail. I can't send them back when I know that there's a better life for them here. I don't think that they're going to get more space on the farm than they do in the rental, to be honest. (reviews say that there isn't a real farm, just a house) and this coop is advertised to hold 3-5 chickens. I can't give them back to that unless I absolutely have to. My idea setup is a 5x10 run with a 5x5 or 5x6 coop in it, and have either the 4 chickens that we have, and adding an easter egger and a cochin later, or the 4 chickens that we have, and adding an easter egger, a cochin, and a barred rock later. When I'm an adult I want a huge setup, but that's just in the future. I know how to care for them properly, know how to build a coop, and know all of their needs. It is just that the current situation isn't working out well.

Yep, was going to tell a story about a motorcycle.....
Once you start paying your own rent/mortgage, utilities, insurance, groceries, etc,etc,etc.....not to mention having children(especially once they hit the teen years), it will greatly change your perspective.

Yep, was going to tell a story about a motorcycle.....
Once you start paying your own rent/mortgage, utilities, insurance, groceries, etc,etc,etc.....not to mention having children(especially once they hit the teen years), it will greatly change your perspective.
Yes, I understand the perspective change. (I'm actually VERY stressed/nervous about being an adult) (being an adult is scary) (very scary) (I'm frequently worried about this) (I may or may not have the rest of my life planned out) Sometimes it is frustrating for me because on something where I'm asking to spend my own money and time and effort (My own! I'm not asking them to spend theirs) on something that will benefit both us and the chickens. I'm not trying to get them to spend their money on most anything in the situation. I'm now very stressed out and questioning basically my entire existence (I'm an anxious person)

Same here, though I still don't agree with my parents on the whole dog issue (I'd been campaigning to get a dog since around 12 or so, and after I moved out at 18, they then got a dog - and kept asking me to come back to take care of it, like seriously?)

I had also kind of wanted chickens since I was a kid but we at least had housebirds so that filled my bird quota. The chicken thing never quite went away so I finally started looking into it, but still took about 10 more years after that before it happened.

Yes, I understand the perspective change. (I'm actually VERY stressed/nervous about being an adult) (being an adult is scary) (very scary) (I'm frequently worried about this) (I may or may not have the rest of my life planned out)

Things will change, so don't worry about not having a "plan." I can't say I had any real plans either, at least not realistic ones, back then. Actually (don't laugh) my original plan was to go to college in Alaska (because I could get a full scholarship), become a journalist, meet a lumberjack, get married at 21 and live in the wilderness lol. Nothing close to that ever happened.

Back
Top Bottom