Please help, I have a feeding issue :(

Shabana,

I too have had injured chicks and chickens that have had to be isolated from the main flock for some time and they too have become dependent upon being fed individually... over time they will adjust but as has already been said...take it slowly. All of mine have had to learn that they are at the bottom of the pecking order and it is so very hard during the cold months as with frozen ground it is difficult for them to forage for bugs, worms etc. Keep your eye on her and she will adjust to her new environment with your help. Feel her crop at night and that will confirm whether or not she is getting a decent amount of feed, if not, you can give her more feed to supplement her during her transition to living with the main flock.

Ah, your conversation of "Bonfire Night" or Guy Fawkes reminds me so much of my childhood... apple bobbing, apples on strings, hot soup, hot dogs, the smell of the fireworks and bonfire... and of my beloved Father having to tell my Mother that he burned her lavender bushes as the bonfire toppled over onto them!

Penny for the Guy........

Hope limpy hen adjusts very soon!

Thank you so very much. I'm taking your advice. Tonight her crop wasn't full so I popped her on my knee and fed her some cat food ( her absolute fav) she had a drink and then I popped her in the coop.
I'm gonna spend half an hour with her in the morning doing the same and then again at night until I feel she's managing better and then drop it off gradually.
I'll sleep better tonight knowing she's full and I'm sure she will too.

This process is hard on the heart strings - i will be very relieved when she's adjusted :)

Thank you again x

Shabana,

Sleep well tonight, you are very deserving of a good nights sleep, as is your limpy hen!

Tomorrow is another day.. and I am sure you will both benefit.... due entirely to your loving care.

Keep us informed of her progress!

Hello !
Well I did sleep well and was up at the coops well before daybreak :)
Pudding as usual didn't come out of the coop so I popped her out and she went into the covered little run bit while I poop picked.

I then fed her half a packet of cat food which she woofed down, and some water.
Now normally she would be off back hiding in the covered run bit but I had put some corn in some alfalpha and so she parked herself outside in the main pen, still in a secluded corner but she was scoffing. I put a handful of mixed feed near her (growers, seed, grit and oyster shell) and she was eating it and I've left extra food and water in the covered bit in case her bravery doesn't last lol

I can't wait for the day she comes running out of the coop with the rest of them and gets tucked in. I can't tell you how happy I will be on that day :)

Just to say a big thank you !
I think I am winning ;) at least a little bit !

The last couple of days Pudding has eaten pretty well, I'm continuing to feed her morning and night and tonight she ate well for me but to my great relief she already had a pretty full crop ! Couldn't get her to take a proper sip of water but got a bit down her the little monkey :)

She's still seeking out places to hide away in the pen but I think her confidence will build as her leg improves. It's only been a few days after all :)

I feel good :) I think she's gonna be fine - and I wanted to say a big thank you for all the advice and caring.
The people on BYC are wonderful x

Oh Shabana...

That news has made my day! I am so very pleased for both of you that it seems she is now on her way back to her natural life with the flock.

Your loving care is what is leading to her eventual independence... she could not have survived without your wonderful determination and dedication...!

I am looking forward to hearing of her further integration with her mates.....Pudding is making great progress!

celebrate.gif

BYC is a wonderful site.... here to help one another and to learn from others experiences and knowledge... your experiences with Pudding will also help others to be encouraged to do what we feel is right to help our chickens... so thanks to you too for your posting this thread!

Back
Top Bottom