1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!I SAW A BUG!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrsmartin2001, Mar 10, 2008.

1. mrsmartin2001

mrsmartin2001 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2007
    Virginia
    Ok I was just holding my chick and I saw these teeny tiny bugs on it crawling through the feathers. They were smaller than a flee, kinda very light brown almost clear color and green. Please if anyone knows anything about bugs on chickens please let me know. If they are bad or not because I have children that like to pick them up and I wanna make sure we wont catch anything from the bugs or chicks.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They may be mites or lice. If they are lice, they are species specific. Adding DE or dusting with a poultry dust can help rid of this problem.

3. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I have beem told that you can also use seven dust on them. I agree with silkie I don't think you can get them.

4. mrsmartin2001

Aug 16, 2007
    Virginia
    ok thank you so much.

5. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    Sevin dust may not be the best to use, if your children handle the chicks. My vet (who specializes in poultry) advised me that a flea product that is safe for kittens, is ok to use on chickens. I use a product called DE FLEA.(www.naturalchemistry.com). I am very sensitive to bug sprays and this one doesn't bother me, yet is very effective.
    Don't worry about the bugs and your kids. As silkiechicken states, the lice will only go after chickens. Mites are carried by wild birds. They may get on your hand, when you handle an infected bird, but won't harm you. I just wash them off. And treat my birds.

6. mrsmartin2001

Aug 16, 2007
    Virginia
    Oh ok I will get some asap, thank you so much for your help.

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*they will, however, spread to infest all your birds, and can eventually suck them dry of blood. So, treat soon, 'kay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by