please help injured chick!!!

irishsilkie

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 24, 2015
This chick is 3 days old attacked by a hen it is now separated on its own what do I do next??

Awww...how's the chick doing? I'm sure you already decided on a course of action for the little thing. Depending on how bad the wound is, I may or may not spray some bluekote on it (I probably wouldn't if deep)...just keep it warm with a lamp...and safe. If it's going to be alone until recovery, then stick a stuffed animal in with it and a small mirror????

I wrote an article on caring for a chick with a severe wound. It's the first link listed below this post and may have some info you'll find relative to your situation.

The important thing is to keep the wound clean and moist. Once the wound is cleaned of all foreign material, spraying with Vetericyn, a coating of Blue-kote, and once that dries, a smearing of antibiotic ointment will promote fast healing, but only if you do it every day until the wound completely heals.

The chick will be better off back with its mates, and the Blue-kote will help prevent them from molesting the wound. Granted, chicken environment is a dirty one, but with twice-a-day cleansing, and the wound dressing I recommended, the chick will heal without infection.

Back
Top Bottom