Please help!! Insides coming out!?

I am so sorry about your hen. I can’t tell you to put her down or the best way, but just show the ways some do it. I have cut the jugular and let them bleed out. I have tried cervical dislocation, and had a bit of a time doing it either way. Whatever you use if it is an axe or knife, it has to be sharp. There are several YouTube videos available. My husband has shot a couple, but we live on a farm near the woods.
Ok thank you for the info. She is enjoying a nice bath right now while we decide what to do. If we put her down do you think it woukd be safe to process and feed to our dogs so she doesnt go to waste or should we not take a chance? Never been in this situation before....

I had to put down an injured cockerel this morning. I wrap the bird in paper towels, place a strong sharp butcher knife over the neck (up close toward the base of the head) and hit my knife with a mallet. My aim isn’t good enough to use a hatchet.

From the looks of the pictures, I wonder if she maybe ripped it loose trying to expel an egg?

DE79DF19-9439-4F4B-A728-98E44621A898.jpeg
Ok thank you for the info. She is enjoying a nice bath right now while we decide what to do. If we put her down do you think it woukd be safe to lrocess and feed to our dogs so she doesnt go tk waste or shoyld we not take a chance? Never been in this situation before....

I think that would be fine to use the meat for your dogs. I always dread having to put one down, but it is necessary so they do not suffer. It is much harder in your case, when she doesn’t seem to be in any pain, being up walking, and is looking around. But eventually, she will become septic and start suffering with her insides hanging out. i am looking for an old video which helped me. It involves tying the legs up to a tree with the head downward. Killing cones also can be used.

How are you doing? Were you able to euthanize her? I have been thinking about her since yesterday. I hate that this happened to her.

We did, we let her enjoy her bath time and some pets and then put her down that night. I do feel terrible. I really love my chickens. I just hate theres nothing we could have done for her. It was interesting to learn how to process a chicken and i believe its important to know. Sure does give you more respect for your food. She had nothing but water in her crop and intestines and some rather large rocks. The hole was quite large that had opened up and parts of the tissue or intestines hanging out were damaged. She would have had a rough time if we tried to fix it :-( and probably wouldnt have made it. She had come such a long way from the initial attack, just such a shame.

Back
Top Bottom