Please help! Integrating Chickens 15 weeks and 6 weeks

Nicci0110

Songster
Mar 15, 2023
Senatobia, MS
I have 15-week-old Rhode Islande Reds and Mixes (5 pullets and 1 Roo) and seven 6-week-old pullet chicks (Buff Orpington, White Leghorn, Barred Rock, Red Sex Link, and one Easter Egger) I have set up a makeshift cage next to my bigger chickens run. I started putting them next to them yesterday in the daytime only. I have read I should do this for a few weeks and then try to integrate them? Is this true? Any recommendations? I am new to this and had no idea this was going to be such a hurtle. I do not have a second coop to put these babies in if this doesn't work. The newest flock is all female. I have one Rooster who seems to be a little bit of a jerk in his teen phase but am ok with rehoming him if needed and I have one RIR that is a real crabby lady who can also go if needed. My older chickens are free ranging now. Everyone else in the older flock is very mild mannered and docile. Should I wait 3 weeks and try it out or how should I go about this and know the time is right? I really need this work sooner rather than later as I do not have another coop for these babies now and the makeshift outdoor brooder is not safe at night but is perfectly fine in the day. Yesterday everyone seemed unphased but the Rooster did make some noises but nothing more. I know it is dumb but I really assumed I could just allow them to be together but I was naive and had no idea. I have only been doing this since January and had no idea this would be a problem. My run is not set up really to put the box in there so they are beside it. I do not think putting them in would make a difference since mine are out foraging daily from sun up to sun down.

Do you have other chickens besides the six 15-week olds and the seven 6-week olds that you are needing to integrate with or just the 13 young ones? How big is your run and coop?
These are my only chickens. My run is 48 square feet. My coop I'm not sure but my husband built everything to accommodate 16 chickens total according to recommendations. They have about 2 acres of pasture to free range in and lots of wooded area they seem to love. The older ones that is. The small ones have only been in a small temporary brooder outside so far. My older ones rarely go in their coop because they stay out all day basically and come back to roost at dusk. I appreciate you helping!

Also, my run has a solar powered door but I currently manually open and shut it daily to be sure they are all in a safe. They have access to their run all day and do occasionally go in for water and shade. They can come and go as they please during the day
Do you have other chickens besides the six 15-week olds and the seven 6-week olds that you are needing to integrate with or just the 13 young ones? How big is your run and coop

Do you have other chickens besides the six 15-week olds and the seven 6-week olds that you are needing to integrate with or just the 13 young ones? How big is your run and coop?
This is it when it was unfinished but a general idea of it at least 20230305_162530.jpg 20230305_162538.jpg 20230311_104148.jpg

Can you split the run with something, so the younger ones have run space and the older can still get water and shade? This would keep with the see no touch method and get them use to the run.
It is long and skinny. I'm sure my husband could think of something though maybe. My others stayed inside my house until they were 10 weeks and I'm praying these can go out much sooner lol. It's a lot to bring them in and out before work and after work everyday but I'm willing to do it to know they are safe. My whole life has changed since having these chickens for the best

Yeah, I brooded in the house once...once was enough! I got day old chicks this past Saturday, they are brooding in the coop now. Our nights are just now getting into the mid 30's (last week we were still below freezing overnights).

I'd say put the younger ones in the run, while older free range. Figure out water and shade for the older, since they can't get into the run. Another option would try throwing them all together and seeing how much bickering there is. But, are you ready to free range younger ones?

Yeah, I brooded in the house once...once was enough! I got day old chicks this past Saturday, they are brooding in the coop now. Our nights are just now getting into the mid 30's (last week we were still below freezing overnights).

I'd say put the younger ones in the run, while older free range. Figure out water and shade for the older, since they can't get into the run. Another option would try throwing them all together and seeing how much bickering there is. But, are you ready to free range younger ones?
I don't think I'm ready for them to free range. I'm thinking I am going to keep them outside for a couple of weeks in the day and see where they are size wise. But yes it may be an idea to just bite the bullet and be ready to intervene. May try that this weekend. It's 70s day and 50s here in MS so I do gave that on my side for sure.

I like having them inside for now because we have unlimited snuggle time

Back
Top Bottom