Please help little chick

5hens&aroo

Songster
5 Years
Apr 20, 2018
Kentucky
Little chick from Rural King. Brought him home he was covered in poop. I cleaned him off best I could without making him to cold. He hasn’t really peeped a lot. His eyes have stayed closed mostly. I put a few drops of water on his beak and he drank. Do you think he will make it ?what should I do? I’m holding it in my hand in front of the blow dryer on low to dry him and get him warm. When I get him close to my face he will peep just a little.

Attachments

• 4B9EEF26-2673-436D-8522-451A1BF15A2D.jpeg
    4B9EEF26-2673-436D-8522-451A1BF15A2D.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 1238F318-3F57-491B-B2B2-86F84D6B5F2B.jpeg
    1238F318-3F57-491B-B2B2-86F84D6B5F2B.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 15
  • AAAA1D35-714E-4B05-8E19-A661DE0F07B4.jpeg
    AAAA1D35-714E-4B05-8E19-A661DE0F07B4.jpeg
    711.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 7686A7AD-861A-431F-9637-A8FA8325235B.jpeg
    7686A7AD-861A-431F-9637-A8FA8325235B.jpeg
    344.6 KB · Views: 15
Has he pooped yet?
Poor little dude. :(

I second the nutridrench.

Keep him warm and clean off the vent as much as possible.

I know this is going to sound hard hearted....:hmm
I know seeing little babies struggling in the bins at the feed stores it is hard not to want to help.
Sometimes (always) it is better to just let the employee know and walk away.
Been there bought the poorly chick cause I felt bad for it. It is a lot of work to try and save them. Heartbreaking when to spite best effort they still pass away.

My sister was given a chick for free from tractor supplies due to similar issues. We kept it warm and hydrated for a couple days and the eyes started to open and started doing way better. My sister forgot to close her door one day and our dog into it and knocked the cage over and the water landed on the baby and killed it. So their is hope as long as its safely contained.

You can tuck the chick next to your skin until it dries off.

Do you have any nutri drench? I’d give a drop of that if you can.
I don’t have any. It seems to be opening its eyes more that it’s dry. Still pretty stationary not chirping much the other chicks keep laying all over it though. I’m afraid it will get squished

I don’t have any. It seems to be opening its eyes more that it’s dry. Still pretty stationary not chirping much the other chicks keep laying all over it though. I’m afraid it will get squished

Maybe sugar water tonight?
can you get some nutridrench in the morning?

Can you make a small wire cage to put over it so they don't squish it?

You will have to be careful where in the brooder you put it to keep it from overheating or getting to cold.

Is it able to stand at all?
Has it been able to poop?

Maybe sugar water tonight?
can you get some nutridrench in the morning?

Can you make a small wire cage to put over it so they don't squish it?

You will have to be careful where in the brooder you put it to keep it from overheating or getting to cold.

Is it able to stand at all?
It does stand. He moved out from under neath some other chicks on his own. He’s breathing kinda fast but is moving a little. He is super tiny compared to the rest. Idk if that mean anything but he seems to be coming around. Sorry I keep saying he it just seems like a little guy idk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 12
any gatoraid ? I think thats a lifesaver sometimes when I dont have anything else. My DH drinks it so always on hand. I give them the fruit punch flavor because its red and it stains their little mouths for a long time after. There are recipes online for electrolytes you can make it maybe. add sugar to it too.

any gatoraid ? I think thats a lifesaver sometimes when I dont have anything else. My DH drinks it so always on hand. I give them the fruit punch flavor because its red and it stains their little mouths for a long time after. There are recipes online for electrolytes you can make it maybe. add sugar to it too.
Y’all are great! I’m gonna try to make my own! I really want this chick to pull through

It does stand. He moved out from under neath some other chicks on his own. He’s breathing kinda fast but is moving a little. He is super tiny compared to the rest. Idk if that mean anything but he seems to be coming around. Sorry I keep saying he it just seems like a little guy idk.

He looks like a bantam in the pictures. Yes that means he is a tiny and delicate baby that when grown will be a small bird. Nothing wrong in that.
Lots wrong that the employee didn't step in and help him.

Back
Top Bottom