1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help... Lost a chick to a predator last night.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BYC Man, Aug 7, 2013.

1. BYC Man

BYC Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Okay. I went to one of my coops where I have 10 five week old chicks and found one lying dead when I unlocked and opend the door. This chick had been attacked from it's vent. It's entire cavity was consumed. No other signs of a bite anywhere on it's body.
    What would you believe did this? rat? Not one other chick was harmed?

2. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    Could it be that the chick died and the other chicks pecked at it? Otherwise I would think probably a rat or other small rodent.

3. BYC Man

Mar 11, 2013
    I don't think so. The chick was 100% healthy. The chicks are not agressive at all. I had 5 cochins and 5 Polish chicks in the coop. I am going to empty the coop and look for a rodent. It was locked tight so I am believing it may be hidden under the wood chips.
    Has anyone experienced this kind of attack on a chick?

4. 20736

20736 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    If there are no marks on the chick, there is a good chance it died and was cannibalized. It doesn't usually happen this quick, but it can.
    Sorry for your loss, especially a young bird. Hope you can resolve this soon.

1 person likes this.
  5. BYC Man

Mar 11, 2013
    Thank you.

6. samidodamage

samidodamage Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2012
    Northeast Georgia
    My guess would be some kind of weasel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by