Please help Louie..

jhughett

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 29, 2012

I recently moved to a rental property on 1.5 acres of land...and aquired a few animals....Louie being one of them....
In early September....I noticed one of my Pekin Ducks walking with a limp...(There are four ducks...Donald, Huey, Dewy, and Louie..however...Donald is the only male....I learned as the story progresses...)
So...Louie as a limp on Wednesday evening...Friday evening is is worse so I called a vet....They came out on Saturday....Louie has bumblefoot....They gave her Baytril twice a day and Meloxicam once daily and advised daily Iodine soaks for 10 minutes each day. Louie appeared to be great...accepted back by her peers...running from me when I had to catch her for medicine...I thought things looked good.
On her 2 week check up the vet was surprised by how well she was doing...but Louie stll had two large black scabs on her foot...and the vet said that without surgery...the infection would eventually win. Well...I'm new to this life...but....I knew I couldn't give up..
The following Monday....her foot...opened up....and after an hour of soaking and squeezing...it appeared that all the infection was out...I packed the wound with polysporin, applied a non-stick pad...wrapped vet-wrap, and microform foam tape...
The next day I realized...that wouldn't work...after 12 hours...the tape was flapping every where and the bandage was wet...I redressed the wound and decided I had to do better.
That night...I soaked the foot...packed it with polysporin, a non-stick pad, vet wrap, foam tape, a surgical sterile glove, foam tape.....The next morning everything was still in place...and Louie ran faster than ever...
Called the vet...and she said I was doing everything "right"....I've repeated the antibiotics, pain meds, soaks and dressings every day since. (This is day 5)
Louie ran out of antibiotics yesterday (Baytril twice daily for three weeks...almost)....She is still eating, drinking...and despite her bulky dressing...giving me one heck of a chase every day...
Her foot still looks swollen...I'm posting pictures...
Can anyone tell me if this is a normal looking foot...5 days after draining the infection...?

I know their is often a hard "corn" sized infection that if left in it will continue to come back. Sometimes I have had success in removal other times not. I have a roo that has had it for a few years. I've tried many times but can't ever find it. He gets around, but it must be somewhat uncomfortable.
Do a search on here for bumble foot...their is lots of good info on it.

Back
Top Bottom