Please help lump hanging from my drakes vent

Duck mummy

In the Brooder
May 26, 2022
hi I have a one and a half year old drake. Please can anyone help. I had him in the bath when I noticed this lump hanging out of his vent. I thought it was poop but when I tryed to clean it off I noticed it was not. I have been doing my research about prolapses but I didn't think it was the same as the other pitures I had found. I am by far not a duck expert and have never seen this before. I am really worried about him. He is eating and drinking and taking treats, his poop is runny and light brown coloured IMG_20221222_121141.jpg . Please can someone tell me what this is and how to help him. I am from the UK so alot of the medicines I can't get a hold of here. Also my vet is very expensive and told me they are not experts on birds. He is in the house and had warm bath hoping that would help but it hasn't. Im not sure how long it has been there as you can only really see it when his feathers are wet and our birds have to be locked up just now as we have avarian flu over here. Please any help is greatly appreciated I have attached a photo but it isn't very good I can't get a better one. IMG_20221222_121429.jpg

hi I have a one and a half year old drake. Please can anyone help. I had him in the bath when I noticed this lump hanging out of his vent. I thought it was poop but when I tryed to clean it off I noticed it was not. I have been doing my research about prolapses but I didn't think it was the same as the other pitures I had found. I am by far not a duck expert and have never seen this before. I am really worried about him. He is eating and drinking and taking treats, his poop is runny and light brown colouredView attachment 3355911. Please can someone tell me what this is and how to help him. I am from the UK so alot of the medicines I can't get a hold of here. Also my vet is very expensive and told me they are not experts on birds. He is in the house and had warm bath hoping that would help but it hasn't. Im not sure how long it has been there as you can only really see it when his feathers are wet and our birds have to be locked up just now as we have avarian flu over here. Please any help is greatly appreciated I have attached a photo but it isn't very good I can't get a better one. View attachment 3355907
A better photo really would help, as it looks a little odd...

It does sound like a prolapse, was there any blood around the vent or around where you found him?

For now, keep it as clean and moist as possible. You could use triple antibiotic or vaseline to help with that. Definitely keep him inside away from the other birds.
Are there no avian/exotics vets around that you could go to?

@New duck mommy 2021 has dealt with prolapses, she may be able to advise better.

A better photo really would help, as it looks a little odd...

It does sound like a prolapse, was there any blood around the vent or around where you found him?

For now, keep it as clean and moist as possible. You could use triple antibiotic or vaseline to help with that. Definitely keep him inside away from the other birds.
Are there no avian/exotics vets around that you could go to?

@New duck mommy 2021 has dealt with prolapses, she may be able to advise better.
Hi there, there is no blood anywhere in bed or on him. He is still eating and drinking and slashing around in the water. He is already isolated in his crate. I have no bird vets around and my own vet has quoted a fortune, but a family friend is a vet nurse and i had her round to look at him and she reckons its a prolapse was told to give him a warm bath and apply sugar to dry it out. I also got some manuka honey to put on, i know ducks are not allowed to eat this so was going to wrap him in a towel with it on while he gets his cuddles.

@Quatie has treated prolapses and rec. Hydrocortisone cream or ointment can't remember which. But I'd think the ointment might stay on longer which even helps with swelling. Manuka honey is also a good one and it won't hurt him to have a little if he was to get some in his mouth.

@Quatie has treated prolapses and rec. Hydrocortisone cream or ointment can't remember which. But I'd think the ointment might stay on longer which even helps with swelling. Manuka honey is also a good one and it won't hurt him to have a little if he was to get some in his mouth.
Thats great thanks ill get to the shop first thing in the morning, my ducks cause me more stress than my kids do.

Back
Top Bottom