Please help Maine Mom identify chickie babies #4

twillis33

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2015
Maine
Hi again! I have several baby chicks 1-2 weeks old and need help identifying and sexing. We got these chicks from a farmer down the road who had the most beautiful birds running freely on his property. This baby was mixed in with australorps?(I think). The marking on the head and lighter color legs leads me to believe that it may be a barred plymouth rock. Any thoughts? Thank you

UPDATE: My 9 week old barred rock is looking kind of "muffy". From my reading this is not normal for a barred rock. So can this be a cross with the Ameraucana? Her name is sweet pea. I do assume that she is a hen.

UPDATE: My 9 week old barred rock is looking kind of "muffy". From my reading this is not normal for a barred rock. So can this be a cross with the Ameraucana? Her name is sweet pea. I do assume that she is a hen.
That would be my guess as Ameraucanas have muffs. It gets confusing when it gets into the Easter Eggers as not all of them have muffs. I think the muff looks adorable.

Thank you I think the muff looks adorable too. Do you think she is a hen?

I'd guess yes, at nine weeks. The comb looks a little reddish, but not sure why, I think it may be from the camera lighting. It looks to me like it is going to be a pea comb, another sign of Ameraucana or Easter Egger parentage I think if it were a rooster, the comb would be larger (higher).

Back
Top Bottom