Please help me decide between the different breeds...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TracyLK, Apr 15, 2011.

1. TracyLK

TracyLK Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    Good Morning,

We are building a hen house (yay) and are looking to get around 6 hens. We will be getting them as babies, but are looking for the most friendly, easy going, social ones. I know personalities vary. These are the different breeds that we are considering. Any strong recomendations for us first timers?! We are looking to get a few different breeds. Any go well together?

Delaware
    Dominique
    Easter Eggers
    Orpington
    Plymouth Rock
    Rhode Island Red
    Silkies
    Wyandotte
    Australop

Thank you in advance.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You can't know what you don't know.

Get a mix. My guess is that you find some you don't care much for and some you'll really like better. Going forward, you tastes will develop. Pretty common to have preferences after awhile.

3. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    I would nix the Rhode Islands. I have had issues with a very aggressive roo and I have heard others here had issues with them as well. Although I have also read some that say they are the sweetest.

A mix is always nice and you will get lots of opinions. A lot also has to do with how productive you want them to be. Some are very good layers, others not as great. I would choose

EE's
    Silkies
    Wyandottes

Just my opinion

4. swatskee

swatskee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Cleveland, OH
    We got 2 each: Golden Buff, Columbian Wyandotte, and Dominiques... At just 2 weeks old the CW's and Dom's are amazing, especially the Dominiques. The GB's seem to keep to themselves but that me be that they're not getting the attention the others are from our children?

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

There are likely 40 common breeds and as many likes and dislikes among owners as there are people. Talk to us next year and I bet you'll have a greater appreciation for what you like, don't like and why. To start? You just gotta find out. What we might like, you'd really not like. It is so different.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    What are you looking for in your flock, besides friendly hens?

If you want a lot of eggs, then silkies would not be the choice for you. Silkies lay small eggs, and they tend to spend most of their time broody. (raising babies) Broodies don't lay while they are raising young.

EE's are great for colored eggs, IMO a must for every flock.

Orpington's are nice and gentle. They lay a nice large egg. Also a breed thattend to go broody.

Rocks are great layers, not so cuddly, but lay lots of huge eggs.

7. silkeysandra

silkeysandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    grand prairie, tx
    Do some research for your area. Get hens that tolerate your weather conditions: very cold winters, very hot/humid summers, etc. Ask the feed store guy what hen varieties other people in your area have. He should know, or could put you in touch with a few chicken owners.
    I have Silkies, a breed recommended for novices and children! ha! A Christmas present in '06. I do have a heater in their coop to keep it at least 40 degrees in winter and a fan to cool the coop in summer. I live in Texas where summers are brutal. I put out frozen liter bottles on the shaded porch to cool my girls. Also fill several large plastic plant saucers with water in shaded areas which they play in. Too cute.
    Get hens that will do well for your weather conditions then pamper them like hotel guests and you will have soooo much fun! Let us know what you got!

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    My opinion

Orpingtons
    Dominiques
    Easter Eggers

I've heard Wyandotte are nice but I don't know. I do know that Orpingtons have an easy going personality and usually get along well with others. Same with EE, and Dominiques have personality if any of the stories I hear from the old men around here whose families had "Domineckers" as kids are true. People love the various Rocks too, though I've heard good things about Barred Rocks, not White Rocks, but unless I'm wrong, it's just a color difference.

9. TajMaChicken

TajMaChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Hernando, MS
    I have 2 EE's. One is sweet the other is very flighty. I have 1 Delaware, she is sweet and very social and vocal. She is normally the first one to come running and talks to me all the time. Sometimes I have no idea what she wants but she seems to be demanding it [​IMG] I got a Dominique in my first four chicks. She was very sweet, I miss her.....dumb neighbors with unsocialized roaming dog [​IMG] Let's see..... I also have 1 Orpington and 1 White Rock ..... The Rock is very independent, nice but independent. My Buffy, the Orpington, is so gentle. I can pick her up, sit her in lap and she will sit and take as much lovin's as I give. Very very sweet natured chicken....I imagine would be very good with kids.

That is my experience with the ones on your list...I just got a silkie chick so not sure about them yet. I agree with Fred's Hens. You will develop your own tastes for them. Get a mix from you list. I would say you have narrowed it down to a good few now just go for it [​IMG] Have fun and let us know what you get!

10. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I got 2 of each kind I have
    2 barred rocks (love these ladies)
    2 buff ophingtons (so sweet and one protects us from our misbehaving rooster)
    2 red sex links (lost one due to infection) nice and lay great eggs
    2 black sex links (lost one to son's dog) lay nice brown eggs
    2 Austrolorps lay great eggs are really pretty and sweet
    I have 3 bantam EE's they where the first to lay and I have pretty blue eggs.
    I have 2 barn yard mixes one lays a pretty pink egg the other no idea can't catch her on the nest.
    I just got 2 SLW and 2 EE's and 3 new bantams. I think each breed has good and bad qualities I would get a couple of each and see which one's you like if you find you don't like a certain breed you can sell laying hens on CL. Good luck and have fun with your new hobby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by