Please help me identify Rodney's breed

some games are pretty hard on standard breeds,, their a little rougher then most roo's,,,, but if others have done it ( i havent tried, i went and got game hens for mine cause some dude traded me for guineas
big_smile.png
) i dont see why it wouldnt work. just dont have another roo that he can get too,, cause it will be messy.

nope, no other roos in the area
smile.png

wish is wasn't night time. want to get back to work on the coop/run LOL! i'll take pics and post them tomorrow of how it's coming. i'm basing it off this...

24.jpg

Last edited:
Wow? $6 for only 25 lbs?

It's $9 for $50 here. And chain feedstores are NOT knowledgeable about poultry nutrition needs.

Get some gamecock food, or you can get some layer pellets/crumbles. I feed it to my males and they do JUST fine with it. Scratch is like candy...and he'll be fat, and NOT healthy..

He is pretty...I just hope he stays nice!

I agree on him being a run of the mill game. Probably from 'pit fighting' stock too. He is also very young, not even a year old yet or just barely one.

Here is a link to a page with several pictures of 'em. Mind, most of them are fully mature so their necks, tails and bodies are a bit more filled out/lush. Your boy will be even more gorgeous next year.

Any hen will make him very happy.. they do not care much about breeds as much as who's a girl who's a boy. I would not recommend getting another rooster- especially if your boy happened to come from pit stock. They are far more intolerant of other roosters than the typical domesticated rooster.

RIR are pretty good layers so they would be great if you want eggs.

Have fun with your new pets!

p.s. when you get hens, feeding all of them straight layer feed will be fine. Even for the guy.

Last edited:
whats a "run of the mill" game? mutt?
that link had no "run of the mill" games init,, they were all specific breeds and bloodlines.
and to a gamecock,, it dont matter if their "pit" stock,, ALL gamecocks (in general) will not get along with another roo.
and is there also "run of the mill" standard breed roo's?

Quote:
City Farm in Orlando is filled with well employees with no clue. (been there number of times)

Rodney is gorgeous he needs some women though. Try craigslist and freecycle.

Good luck with him...I never have any chickens suddenly appear in my yard darn it. LOL

Last edited:
Quote:
I consider a "run of the mill" game a bird that is OBVIOUSLY of game decent, that you do NOT know the parentage of. ]

All COCKS in general will not get along with another rooster, however gamecocks are more likely to fight with another male incessantly and a "pit" game, which has started being trained (which I doubt considering he has a comb, wattles and has not been shaven) will usually fight to the death.

"run of the mill" standard breed cock: A barred rock with poor barring, poor type yet looks JUST enough like the standard to be in that category. Hatchery birds in my opinion. However some hatcheries have MUCH better stock than others. Birds that have been bred for production purposes rather than the breed standard are "run of the mill" to me. In many cases...the owner does NOT know the parentage other than the hatchery in which it came.

But...I'm off my soapbox now..off to eat some steak!

OH OH OH! so happy. today i heard him clucking and went outside to see a cat in stalk mode. so i chased it off then found him in the area he's been roosting. i went inside and got a can of corn and went back outside. he was about to run farther into the foliage when i threw out some tasty corn. he turned around and ate it up. so i threw some closer and closer. he got within 2 feet of me and just sat there eating while i talked to him. was very cool.

maybe there is something to going out and talking to him a few times a day lol.

but now the pressure is on to finish his coop since the cats in the hood are taking interest!

ALSO, the lady with the farm just got a few eggs today for hatching. so in 21 days they'll be hatched. She said she'd sell them to me at 18 weeks old so i wouldn't have to mess with different feeds for $7 each! That's so great. too bad i'll have to wait till march but hey. It gives me time to get to know rodney and him used to the coop. Cool thing is she has a blog so i get to watch the chick grow up
smile.png

run of the mill whatever. he's fun and a nice fowl. i'm thinking maybe someone off loaded him into my yard. my house is on a corner lot in a pretty heavy traffic area for a neighborhood. He is a pretty gentle chicken and i could see someone not wanting him for fighting as he flees more than confronts.

i forgot to take pics of the progress today. oops. the coop and ramp are done except for chicken wire on the bottom and the 5" holes near the top for ventilation. i put one coat of paint on it today (none inside) and will finish the other. I almost have all the wood for the run and will start that tomorrow. so i'm about 3/4 done YAY! tomorrow or the next day it'll all be done depending on how much i put into it!

thanks again for all the info.

OH

also, how could you tell how old he was? i think he;s about to molt too. the feathers around his neck are getting white at the base and he's looking poofy. lol

but MAN does he like canned corn haha.

so if i get layer feed now and mix it with scratch he'll be fine and i'll be nice and used to using that feed by the time i get hens. what mixture should i make of layer and scratch? i still need to pic up the layer food.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom