Please help me, i'm having an eggsistential crisis!

If you haven't checked facebook yet, I'd also recommend doing a search for a quail breeding/enthusiast facebook group in your state.

I have been incubating quail eggs for 6 days and I candled them today, I saw that two of them have an air sac at the bottom and half of the egg is empty, an half is dark. I don't see any veins in the 2 eggs and I am wondering if they are infertile. (It may be because I don't have a very powerful flashlight

I have been incubating quail eggs for 6 days and I candled them today, I saw that two of them have an air sac at the bottom and half of the egg is empty, an half is dark. I don't see any veins in the 2 eggs and I am wondering if they are infertile. (It may be because I don't have a very powerful flashlight
Can you post a picture? There is normally a clear spot on the bottom that isn't actually the air cell. When I was new to incubating I panicked once because I thought the air cell was on the bottom of all of my eggs!

At just 6 days, you won't be able to see much, especially if they are coturnix eggs. It's normal for the wide part of the egg to be light/hollow/empty! That's the air cell. You should be able to see an obvious line where it starts. Definitely compare your eggs to pics of candled coturnix eggs online! You will know if they are fertile if, by day 12,the eggs are very very dark except for the air cell. Almost no light will come through at all; you might be able to see some veins, but not guaranteed as it will be very dark.

Guys! I am on day 9 of incubating quail eggs and today, I accidently tipped the incubator and two out of the three got hairline fractures! I acted quickly and got scotch tape to repair the cracks but one released a small amount of the egg white. (The tape caught it) The eggs did not release blood but I still don't know if there ok. What do I do? Also they got soaked with water so I immediately got a piece of toilet paper and dried them off.

Back
Top Bottom