Please help me, i'm having an eggsistential crisis!

I've seen people do that, but it doesn't work very often. That also usually only works for eggs that have hairline cracks, not ones that are cracked enough to have stuff starting to ooze out. You can try it, though.

One is oozing and the other has a hairline crack the length of a pencil eraser and it hasn't started to ooze so I may be hatching 2 quails. :idunno

Good luck.
1598497082385.png
1598497089741.png
1598497096393.png
1598497105939.png

The main problem you are facing is bacteria! Inside the egg, the little chicks are inside out, and if bacteria enters the egg white (albumen) it enters into their body as well! It's not impossible for them to survive, but your chances are next to 0. I've had a cracked finch egg hatch this way, but the chick did not survive.

You can maximize their chances by swabbing the surface of the egg shell and entire incubator with a bird-safe disinfectant, and painting over the cracks ONLY with Elmer's glue. The egg shell is porous, like skin, and allows gas exchange so you can't coat the whole egg. Don't use alcohol to disinfect as it might affect the fetus. In the event that any chicks hatch, they have to go on antibiotics right away. Because of the lost moisture from the cracks, you'll need to raise the humidity. It might not be worth doing because it could compromise your remaining eggs, though, so maybe don't unless the cracked eggs are separate.

Don't be tough on yourself!! Every one of us has bungled a hatch or dropped an egg at least once. We're only human after all.

In the event that any chicks hatch, they have to go on antibiotics right away.
If they do hatch and they do have an infection, what should I look out for?

I am on day 16(Basically day 17) and the eggs that are in the incubator haven't peeped or rocked yet, should I be worried?

Back
Top Bottom