Please help me! My Scarlett is sick!!

garlandchickens

Songster
Aug 27, 2020
North Texas
Hey everyone, I have a sick hen. She is about 1 1/2 years old and going through her first molt. The last week or so she has been lethargic and unenthusiastic. Her comb has been flopped over, she puked a bunch of water and has had bad diarrhea. She sits all puffed up and doesn’t move much. She is a champions layer and we would be devastated to lose her. What do I do? I’m very worried about her.

Did she stop laying? is she currently molting? Does she free-range where there is a compost pile where rotting material lies deep and slimy? Has it been wet, muddy and above freezing?

Have you checked her crop? Full, squishy, hard, lumpy?

She has stopped laying, and is molting. No, she is not near the compost. It has been above freezing, I live near Dallas TX. A little rainy but not more than showers. Her crop seems ok, kind of soft. She is just sleeping and roosting a lot. She goes up to sleep very early in the evening.

It won't hurt to treat for coccidiosis. It's a problem in spring if there's been moisture and above freezing. The population may be heavy. I would treat the entire flock, and give the sick hen a Corid drench for the next three days along with the Corid water.

Get liquid Corid from your feed store. Mix two teaspoons into one gallon of water and give it to the flock each day for five days as their only water source.

The drench will be just for the sick hen. Give .1ml per pound of body weight undiluted directly into the beak once a day for three days along with the Corid water. Mix the Corid water fresh each day. After five days, stop the Corid, wait a week, and do it again for five more days. No need for the drench this time.

Meanwhile, check the crop of this hen in the morning to see how well her crop is emptying. If it's full after not eating all night, she may have a crop disorder that may need treatment.

It won't hurt to treat for coccidiosis. It's a problem in spring if there's been moisture and above freezing. The population may be heavy. I would treat the entire flock, and give the sick hen a Corid drench for the next three days along with the Corid water.

Get liquid Corid from your feed store. Mix two teaspoons into one gallon of water and give it to the flock each day for five days as their only water source.

The drench will be just for the sick hen. Give .1ml per pound of body weight undiluted directly into the beak once a day for three days along with the Corid water. Mix the Corid water fresh each day. After five days, stop the Corid, wait a week, and do it again for five more days. No need for the drench this time.

Meanwhile, check the crop of this hen in the morning to see how well her crop is emptying. If it's full after not eating all night, she may have a crop disorder that may need treatment.
Ok thank you so much!

C988A91C-1917-4BF3-8B20-44BFF248B30F.jpeg

This is Hattie, the other sick hen. She looks much worse today and I’m worried she’s not eating. Please help, we don’t know what to do! There are our precious girls, we’ve already lost some and we can’t bear to lose them.

Back
Top Bottom