Please help me to raise a happy healthy duckling

Jenniferw9

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2020
My husband and I just purchased a baby duckling! We want her as a pet to love like anybody loves a dog or cat. I do have a few questions about how to raise her. We went to sleep last night and she would not stop chirping!! Do we treat her like a dog and let her learn that we will not pick her up out of her box, or do we pick her up the second we hear her. I know ducks are very social so we want to know how to keep her as happy as possible. Are we able to take her everywhere we go because that’s what we want to do. My husband and I work during the day so she will be alone about 6 hours Monday through Friday. As soon as we get home, all attention on her but will she still be sad? We just want her to be ok being alone as well as going in the car,store,friends and families house. We just want the happiest duck possible. We are considering getting another duck if we have to because we don’t want to make her miserable. If anybody could help us, that would be awesome!

:welcome Well, she is imprinted on you as "Mom" and expects to be with you full time. She needs company as fowl are flock creatures. Provide a mirror so that she has 'someone' to talk with in your absence.

Sounds good. Do I respond to their chirping right away at night or in the morning, or do I need to tech them that I will not always pick them up?

I would definitely get her a companion! I think a mirror would be a great idea temporarily. I have 4, 2 week old ducklings and I put a feather duster in their brooder, they love it! it acts as a companion and somewhat like a mother. (these ideas are all temporary and I think that a companion would be the best). Best of luck! enjoy her now... they get big fast!

Back
Top Bottom