Please Help Me With Tiny! (and brooder question)

Laurajean

Slightly Touched
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
New Hampshire
So I have 4 day old Bantams, mixed. One is clearly the runt, I could see this from the start. He is REALLY TINY. In just four days I can see the others have grown, and he looks smaller than ever. He's trying to hard to hang on though! So here's what's happening with him and my brooder. I would appreciate any advice. (I saw another post where someone said "all the runts die" and I really don't want to think negatively like that, so please keep it helpful not gloomy. I'm really trying to think positive for this little guy and I personally believe all your positive thoughts help.

Here's what Tiny is doing ( I THINK he is a Silkie)

Other than being crazy small, he doesn't ever sit or lie down! He's always either standing, and then wakes himself up when he starts to fall over, or he's wondering around. When he wanders around he's unstable on his legs, sways a lot, and seems to charge the other chicks. I think he's trying to get close to them, maybe for heat or comfort, but all he does is scatter them, and thus, ends up standing alone a lot.

He was eating and drinking, then yesterday Pasty Butt started (only with him). So I've been torturing the poor thing trying to keep his bum clean and I think the stress and water (albeit warm) might be wearing him out. I try to dry him off the best I can before I put him back of course. So now, as of the last 24 hours, I don't see him eating. I saw him drink a couple of times. I made him take some sips of sugar water a few minutes ago.

The eating thing is odd. He seems to follow the others to the feeder like he wants to join in, but all he does is either get excluded OR he butts them around and accomplishes nothing. He is not getting picked on however.

My ex boyfriend (still my friend) lives in the city and has never seen a chicken in his life. He said "maybe he's too cold", and although I'm tempted to ignore anything he says as far as animals go, lol, that did get me thinking. Here I am judging the brooder temp not so much on the thermometer, but on the general behavior of the chicks. They seem fine, not over huddling at the light, but not scattered either. So I had lost track of the exact temp since they seemed fine. I checked it earlier, and it was like 85. Thinking about how people said to go by their behavior and not the number, this hadn't concerned me before. But now I'm thinking about little Tiny. To her, it might feel much colder than it does to the other chicks!

So I tried to rearrange the light, which is tough because of the location. I finally ended up with the light on the inside of the brooder instead of above it, shining semi-sideways to the end where they mostly hang out. The temp is now at about 100 degrees. This seems high to me, yet they seem fine. They are not avoiding the light.

So to summarize (sorry for the long story), I guess I'd like advice on:

1. What things can I do to help Tiny?
2. Is 100 degrees too hot or fine as long as they seem okay with it?
3. Any advice on how to keep Tiny warmer without cooking the others? (if the coldness is even what's wrong with her, I don't know).

Thanks for reading all this and for any advice. I haven't gotten any sleep because poor Tiny cries all night, except when I hold her. I'm stressed, worried, and exhausted!
idunno.gif

I disagree that all the runts die. My half blind "runt" is now two years old and she's out freeranging with the rest of my flock right now.
I would suggest taking Tiny aside once a day, twice if you can manage it, and give her a one-on-one feeding. No rush, no hurry, just let her eat till her hearts content. Try mixing some chopped hard boiled egg to her crumbles. It's good protein for her.
One hundred degrees does seem to high and I would be nervous about having it in the brooder because of the risk of fire. Offer her a small stuffed animal or clean featherduster to snuggle down with instead.
Sometimes the runts do die and it's a fact of life, but if you have the time and inclination to work with her, being a runt is not a death sentence.
Good luck to you and her.
smile.png

I'm very new to chickens, and I honestly don't have much advice... perhaps seperating Tiny in a seperate Brooder while you try to get some food into him might help...
Even though I lack advice, at least this post will give you a bump! Good Luck!!

Quote:
I have not started feeding the chicks treats yet. Do I need to get grit before I feed her hard boiled egg? I like the idea of protein, to help her grow strong. How about yogurt? I know they like it, but do I need grit for that too?

I'm not liking the light in the brooder either, or the temp. I keep checking on them and their behavior seems fine, but I am worried about the fire hazard. Did it for now to warm up Tiny, but I need to figure something better out. I have your typical coated wire closet shelving as the top of their brooder because I have cats. I'm afraid to put it too close to that in case it melts the coating, but any higher and it's too cold! Should I cut the walls of my whole brooder to be lower maybe? (they're about 28 inches high. I did that as a precaution since I have two "interested" cats).

Feather duster idea is great, I will try that. She loves to be held, but I just can't hold her 24/7 (even though I wish I could!).

I am desperate for experienced information on runts. I purchased 4 D'uucle's on 4-23-10, two Mille Fleur and two Porcelain. Three are growing normally, but one is TINY. It is feathering, albeit a bit more slowly, just like the others, but it has barely grown at all in size. It is at least a quarter the size of the others. It is eating, drinking, and keeps up with the others. I added a Seabright Bantam chick on 5-5-10, and the little D'uucle is only as big as the one day old Seabright. She is so adorable, and is capturing my heart, and i am hoping that she will develop into a smaller hen, and not perish. Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this, or able to offer insight or advice? She is such a cutie, i want to provide her with what ever she needs to have the greatest chance of survival. Can anyone tell me stories of runts they have raised, and why they are like this?

Quote:
The same advice I gave to Laura. I have successfully raised a runt that's half-blind and another hen that ate a piece of broken glass as a youngster. Both do fine with a little extra care.

Quote:
I have not started feeding the chicks treats yet. Do I need to get grit before I feed her hard boiled egg? I like the idea of protein, to help her grow strong. How about yogurt? I know they like it, but do I need grit for that too?

I'm not liking the light in the brooder either, or the temp. I keep checking on them and their behavior seems fine, but I am worried about the fire hazard. Did it for now to warm up Tiny, but I need to figure something better out. I have your typical coated wire closet shelving as the top of their brooder because I have cats. I'm afraid to put it too close to that in case it melts the coating, but any higher and it's too cold! Should I cut the walls of my whole brooder to be lower maybe? (they're about 28 inches high. I did that as a precaution since I have two "interested" cats).

Feather duster idea is great, I will try that. She loves to be held, but I just can't hold her 24/7 (even though I wish I could!).

No grit needed for yogurt, just make sure it's the plain yogurt since the flavored kinds typically have too much sugar. It's kinda iffy on the grit for egg. I didn't offer it, but you may want to offer some chick grit just in case. If you can't find chick grit, the plain parakeet grit that you can get at walmart works. Some of the parakeet grit sold has added calcium, so just be sure it's the plain grit.
Before you cut the brooder walls down I would brainstorm about putting the brooder somewhere that you can restrict the cats from going. Try the feather duster first and see if that plus the heat lamp at a height that is best for the other chicks isn't enough to keep Tiny happy.

i would think thati would pull tiny out of the flock and put him under a light in the concer of the cage with 2 stuff animals and 2 of the chicks two. put one stuff animal near the light and the other away from the light. so tiny could make up the her mind where to cuddle with. she might learn to lay down by the stuff animal to stay warm.
laura

I've found it helpful with very small chicks to grind their crumbles a little bit finer than they come in the bag. The little chicks seem to have a harder time eating enough of the larger size pieces to get the nutrition they need. Also Tiny might like her crumbles mixed with a little warm water, easier to eat and will help her warm up too.
Good luck and I hope Tiny does well!

Back
Top Bottom