Please help! My bantam's leg is injured.

lovemybeakies!

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
Sussex, UK
I am new to chickens; my babies were hatched in an incubator where one developed a splayed leg.
Thanks to links on BYC I found advice, hobbled him and thought it was fixed. Now, 6 weeks later, his leg seems to have twisted so that the toes face outwards. Vet says he may have had a fracture at some time and that I should just splint his leg. To me the problem seems to come higher than his leg, at his hip. He is getting around and is fine in himself but he is not fully grown and I am worried that he will struggle as he gets bigger.
Can anyone help me? Our vet doesn't seem impressed by chickens and I don't want him to be suffering.
sad.png

smile.png
Stop, take a deep breath. Now, splinting does sound like the best course of action. Tongue depressors work best for splints. You can usually find them at any drug store. The question you have to ask is this: is this chick thriving? Is it eating and drinking and getting around or does it just stay in one place and kinda seem depressed? You can according to our vet put a half of a regular non coated 325mg Aspirin in 2 cups of water and give it to the chick if it seems to be in pain. Really for me the biggest issue is pain and that you make sure the chick is comfortable. We have had luck with splinting 2 of our incubator chicks so don't get discouraged. Try the splint, give Aspirin water if in pain and let nature do the rest. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom