Please Help!! My Barred Rock is sick!!!

epeloquin

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Western Massachusetts
I went to the coop this morning and let my girls out for some free range time (we have six, 3 Rhodies and 3 Brd Rocks). One of the Rhodies went to nest to lay her egg and one of the Rocks was waiting. Then I noticed that Brucie was missing. I found her under the coop (we have 18" space under the coop so they can have shade/shelter when they want it). She was a bit puffed up and I noticed that she is very pale. Her comb and wattles are pale pink/yellow. When I picked her up she flapped a little but not normal. She is unsteady on her feet a little. There are no evident injuries and all the other girls are fine. There is also no evidence that I can see of her being egg bound (but I am not sure of the symptoms).

So, I took her home in a pet carrier lined with straw and I have her in a darkened room. I figured that it would be good, whatever might be wrong, to not have her laying right now. When I put her in the pet carrier she did not move an inch from where I placed her. She laid down and has not moved. I offered her water and she did not drink. She is seven months old and has been laying for a little more than two months. I do not use artificial light to keep them laying.

I am not sure what symptoms to look for. Please help!! She is such a precious girl, my wife and kids and I can't bear the thought of losing her!!

By the way, she is NOT sneezing or coughing. There is no discharge from her eyes of beak. Her crop seems normal and there is no odor from her breath. (We did have a couple with sour crop several months ago but I treated them and it cleared quickly).

How old is she? Is she showing any interest in her food and drink? Any strange noises? How's her breathing? Information is key to success
smile.png

I'm so sorry to hear about your BR, I had a BR that acted the same way over the summer and she never showed really any signs of being unhealthy and no one really could give me an idea of what she had, but what I thought was she either had some sort of crop stasis where her crop did not empty completly and she had diahrea did not eat or drink and soon after an antibiotic shot from the vet she passed away. I think she died from an infection but not 100% sure, we did try the warm bath thing in case she was egg bound but I don't think it was that either, I wish yours well but what I have been reading on this site, several BR's have had issues this year, could she possibly have some sort of worm/infestation?

Back
Top Bottom