PLEASE HELP MY CCL !!!

mrsbirrd

Hatching
Mar 3, 2017
Oregon
This forum has been a life saver for me many, many times. I feel like I am at my wit's end! My one year old Crested Cream Legbar is lethargic, skinny, watery poos (understatement), droopy pale comb & wattles etc.
I noticed she was awfully skinny on Friday evening. I did a few hours research and self-diagnosed her with worms. Rushed to Wilco & bought Wazine 17. Dosed the next morning, she drank like crazy. Sunday, no change. I brought her inside for a bath and found a few bugs. They actually jumped onto me, which is how I noticed them. NO clumping at the base of her feathers or visible groups of them on her skin; Back to Wilco for Permethrin. Have been a bit leery to use it since she has never been treated for worms, let alone dusted with chemicals! I mixed 10lbs (ish) of play sand with a cup of DE & dusted her with that instead. She is fluffier today with (dare-I-say) a BIT more color in her comb but SO listless! It's almost as if she is having trouble standing! I plan on Verbazen & probiotics on Day 10 of the worming cycle but I am not sure she is going to make it! She shares a coop with two EE's same age. Both of which have NO SYMPTOMS. They free-range in my back yard during the day with access to their coop & run (weather-proof & heated). She hasn't laid an egg in several days. She is currently sleeping under a heat lamp in my spare bedroom. Sorry for the long post. PLEASE HELP!

None of those match
1f62d.png
I just went outside to check on her & she has not moved. I checked her feathers and saw a mite! Can it really be that bad? I guess I'm back to Permethrin..

You probably didn't see mites on your CCL. They live in crevices in the coop, not on the chicken. Lice live on the chicken, living off the feather dander, but they wouldn't make a chicken as sick as yours is. DE is worthless to treat parasites. You need permethrin or Elector PSP which is a biological control.

How long has she been sick? Has her weight loss being evident over time? Or has she suddenly started acting lethargic?

Do your chickens free range? Have they had access to a compost pile where rotting fruits and veggies have been tossed? How about damp and wet. Any chance of her getting a hold of moldy feed, either on the ground or from stored supplies?

How are her eyes and nares? Any runny discharge? How is her breathing? And rattles?

If this has come on in the last 24 hours, she may have a bacterial infection. You might want to ask a vet to prescribe an antibiotic.

If she's been sick for a week or longer, she may have a viral infection. There are many different ones with different symptoms. It's going to be tricky trying to diagnose her with what little you've told us so far.

Hi

Sorry to hear your chicken is poorly.

Things that can cause them to become thin/emaciated...

impacted crop or gizzard
coccidiosis
bacterial infection
virus....Marek's Disease
worms

In my experience, lice are opportunist and flourish on sick birds that are not well enough to preen and dust bath properly rather than being the cause. Whilst mites can cause failure to thrive and anaemia and spread disease between chickens, they would likely affect all chickens not just one. Many people confuse the two...mites are usually red from sucking blood and live in the coop. Lice are pale brown and live off the debris on the chickens skin and are more of an irritant than a real risk. I am guessing what you saw were lice...it's important to know the difference.

An impacted crop should be pretty noticeable and chances are, if the gizzard was impacted, the crop probably would be too.

A vet can test a faecal sample for worm eggs, coccidiosis and bacteria. Giving the wrong medication to a very sick bird can be the final straw which shuts down their system, so it is important in my opinion to diagnose rather than try this and that.

As regards Marek's disease, usually they will show other symptoms rather than just wasting. Has she ever been lame or have you had any other young chickens with unexplained lameness?

Since she is emaciated, then it will help her if you keep her indoors somewhere warm and offer her moist/sloppy food and nutri drops or similar vitamin supplement. She has obviously been living off her body fat and will have nothing to keep her warm, so just putting her in a warm environment should perk her up a little

Back
Top Bottom