Please help - My chicken won't eat!

chickiechick72

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 22, 2014
I'm not sure what is wrong with my hen, but I suspect it is vent gleet. I have been treating her for the past week with a variety of methods, but still she won't eat, she's listless and just stands with her eyes closed all the time. Yes, I have seen the nasty, runny, yellow poo-water several times.
I have given her 3 baths this week, two with Epsom salt. I trimmed her bottom feathers so I could get a better view.
I fed her some diluted Epsom salt with a dropper, one time.
I have tried feeding her mash (watered down layer feed) and have given her a couple tablespoons of yogurt mixed with oat bran, but I don't think she has eaten any of it.
I kept her isolated from the other hens for 4 days this week. When I put them all back together, the others immediately devour the food that Betsy won't eat. And I have seen them peck her a couple times. I haven't found any sores on her, though.
I got some dewormer and some antibiotic powder from the feed store. She wouldn't eat the dewormer on the food I left for her, but my other hens did as soon as I left it in front of them. She has been drinking the antibiotic water.
One day, I also gave her some colloidal silver diluted in water, by dropper.
And after her baths, I have sprayed a watered down mixture of iodine and colloidal silver and water on her vent. I don't see any sign of infection there; however, her belly was really swollen yesterday, and has gone down today.
Yes, I usually supplement their feed with some probiotic powder. The other hens are doing great, very energetic; however, none of them have laid any eggs since the end of September. (???)
I am at a loss what else I should do. More baths? Or take her to the vet?
Thank you!

Well now I'm at the emergency vet, waiting for an answer. It turns out that my poor hen had starved herself to the point that she was emaciated and dehydrated. She has never had a lack of access to food or water. I have kept her quarantined in the garden periodically over the last week, and have given her worms, kale, even bits of banana that she wouldn't eat.
So, I had the choice to drive her to Athens for surgery, to remove something from her abdomen, or to let her go to Heaven. Poor Betsy. I tried so hard to be a good chicken Mommy for you.
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png

I would love some advice from anyone, for any of the things I have mentioned above. I have 2 more hens at home I want to take perfect care of. Thank you.

Just found out that she had a tumor in her yolk sac- a big bad one. The vet said we did the right thing. I'm still so sad for her!! :(

I sorry you lost your hen. It sounds like you did everything you could to save her. I also have a sick chicken and can't find any answers for her condition.

Back
Top Bottom