Please Help! My hen is very sick!

The wheezing could be from fluid or a mass in the abdomen that is pressing on the air sacs. IF there is fluid, you can try draining her to give her some relief. It's not a cure, but it could make her more comfortable.
The bloated abdomen is what's pushing her legs further apart.
I'm very sorry.
Okay, I will try to drain her. I'm guessing she will die from this but just in case, I'm going to give her some herbs that will maybe help the fluid down so she can live a bit longer (after I drain her, of course). I hope she lives until I can get the syringe and needle I need...will soaking in Epsom salts will give her some relief until I get them?

Okay, I will try to drain her. I'm guessing she will die from this but just in case, I'm going to give her some herbs that will maybe help the fluid down so she can live a bit longer (after I drain her, of course). I hope she lives until I can get the syringe and needle I need...will soaking in Epsom salts will give her some relief until I get them?
If she is not lethargic or in respiratory distress a soaking may help. Soaking can possibly send them over the edge if they are in bad shape, so use your judgement on that.

I would also consider antibiotics if you drain her. You can order Baytril or Amoxicillin online. For this, Baytril would be my first choice. Detox with herbs can be helpful from what I understand, I have not tried them yet, but would consider using them when I have a hen in this condition. @coach723 I believe uses Milk Thistle, she may want to chime in with her thoughts as well.

I'm very sorry about your hen.

If she is not lethargic or in respiratory distress a soaking may help. Soaking can possibly send them over the edge if they are in bad shape, so use your judgement on that.

I would also consider antibiotics if you drain her. You can order Baytril or Amoxicillin online. For this, Baytril would be my first choice. Detox with herbs can be helpful from what I understand, I have not tried them yet, but would consider using them when I have a hen in this condition. @coach723 I believe uses Milk Thistle, she may want to chime in with her thoughts as well.

I'm very sorry about your hen.
She's gone. I tried to drain her. She started gurgling and died in my arms. My sweet little Ginger-lady...

I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs
I was typing my response when yours popped up. I know it's difficult, but the best way to know what happened for sure is a necropsy. I feel fairly confident that you were dealing with a reproductive problem, cancer, internal laying, or salpingitis. Likely nothing you really could have done for her other than try to keep her comfortable and happy for what time she had left. I'm very, very sorry. I've lost a few to all of those things, they are frustrating conditions since there is very little that can be done for them.

She's gone. I tried to drain her. She started gurgling and died in my arms. My sweet little Ginger-lady...
:hugs Oh no! I'm so, so sorry :hugs

I know you tried your best to help her.
Getting a necropsy through your state lab will give you some answers or if you are up to it, perform your own informal investigation. A lot of us do our own, it's not something that everyone wants to do, but I've found it can be educational and gives closure as well. Every hen that I have done, what I saw told me, there was nothing more that could be done. Reproductive problems are very frustrating and heartbreaking.

Thank you guys. I'm heartbroken, but at least she's not suffering anymore. She's joined some of my other hens in a green pasture with a lot of good food and bugs and where there is no sickness...
Thanks to everyone who gave their advice, it was greatly appreciated even though I could not save her. I'll keep it all in mind if another one of my ladies gets sick.

(I had my mom with me and she already took Ginger's body away to deal with it, so I can't send it to a lab. But what's important is that I tried, right?)

Thank you guys. I'm heartbroken, but at least she's not suffering anymore. She's joined some of my other hens in a green pasture with a lot of good food and bugs and where there is no sickness...
Thanks to everyone who gave their advice, it was greatly appreciated even though I could not save her. I'll keep it all in mind if another one of my ladies gets sick.

(I had my mom with me and she already took Ginger's body away to deal with it, so I can't send it to a lab. But what's important is that I tried, right?)
You did try! Ginger looked like a sweet girl, I'm sure you will miss her.

Back
Top Bottom