PLEASE HELP my parents used calcium hydroxide on my chickens to treat lices

That was what I thought I was going to do too, then I became smitten with the Silver Laced Wyandottes, 37 exhibition quality .... and counting, lol. And that after having chickens just one year! Hmmm .... chicken math?

OMG why do people have this sort of thing in their homes?

Find the packet and put it in the trash.

If you want to treat lice, just use any common dog or cat flea spray on your chickens and spray under their wings and inside their neck and back feathers, not on top. It has permethrin in it which is safe for animals and kills all insects whether they are lice, mites or fleas. Spray the coop too and leave it to air for a couple of hours with the door open before the chickens go back in.

Hope your chickens are ok.

OMG why do people have this sort of thing in their homes?

Find the packet and put it in the trash.

If you want to treat lice, just use any common dog or cat flea spray on your chickens and spray under their wings and inside their neck and back feathers, not on top. It has permethrin in it which is safe for animals and kills all insects whether they are lice, mites or fleas. Spray the coop too and leave it to air for a couple of hours with the door open before the chickens go back in.

Hope your chickens are ok.
Alot of people use it for pickling, drain clearing, etc. I always have it on hand for making soap (aka lye). It can be a very useful product, but you also have to be very careful when using it. I know first hand that it doesn't feel very good to get it on yourself. @ChickensLover16929283 For future reference, vinegar will neutralize calcium hydroxide. If that type of thing ever happens again or if you ever get in on yourself, just pour some vinegar over the affected areas.

We have been soaking them in water with dawn for 1 hour now
The hen keeps resisting
Omg, stay diligent. This whole
Situation will be over soon. Ugh, i'd be in a scuba suit IN the tub with ALL the chickens. Now now girls, just a little
Longer. Oh man. Stay sweet and use your calm voice. You got this chickenlover!

Alot of people use it for pickling, drain clearing, etc. I always have it on hand for making soap (aka lye). It can be a very useful product, but you also have to be very careful when using it. I know first hand that it doesn't feel very good to get it on yourself. @ChickensLover16929283 For future reference, vinegar will neutralize calcium hydroxide. If that type of thing ever happens again or if you ever get in on yourself, just pour some vinegar over the affected areas.
Good call re the vinegar. Acid to beat alkaline.

I guess most people don't make their own soap! I have drain cleaner in a bottle clearly marked as such. I wouldn't dream of using it on grass or chickens. I guess this is ignorance on the part of the parents, but that is what happens when dangerous chemicals like this are sold on their own. There will always be people who use them without being aware of their proper uses and how dangerous they can be.

Kudos to the OP for spotting what had happened, knowing it was wrong, seeking advice so quickly, and taking immediate action following the advice given. Assuming they are young, that's an even greater example of excellent animal care.

Back
Top Bottom