PLEASE HELP my parents used calcium hydroxide on my chickens to treat lices

Pics
My parents put calcium hydroxide on my chickens. What should I do!
E6AD1C55-BFFF-4B79-B87F-887E551B3E3C.jpeg

That could be deadly, calcium hydroxide burns! My husband works with the powdered form extensively and I'm getting in contact with him to see what to do.

My husband said, that was really bad for them to do. Shaking his head, he said to protect yourself from inhaling the dust on them while trying to remove as much as possible the continuously spray water on them..... even soaking them in water and changing the water frequently. A lot of water is needed, calcium hydroxide can eat into flesh and is extremely harmful to inhale.

ONLY AGRICULTURAL LIME is safe to used, but it is usually applied to the ground not the bird.

Protect yourself from inhaling the dust and hopefully they haven't or won't as you try to save them.

Soak the birds .... change the water then soak again, ... and again .... and again.

My husband is a fish and wildlife biologist and has been burned by the calcium hydroxide powder many years ago, and he said it literally ate into his skin! He has 40 plus years experience using this stuff, and hasn't been burned by it except for the first time.

Protect yourself from inhaling the dust and hopefully they haven't or won't as you try to save them.

Soak the birds .... change the water then soak again, ... and again .... and again.

My husband is a fish and wildlife biologist and has been burned by the calcium hydroxide powder many years ago, and he said it literally ate into his skin! He has 40 plus years experience using this stuff, and hasn't been burned by it except for the first time.
Thank you I’m currently soaking them in a bucket of water right now

Back
Top Bottom