mychickensgivemelife

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2022
Australia
PLEASE READ I AM DESPERATE: Penny is a young healthy chicken full of personality we’re in the middle of winter so I know she’s not overheating I’m worried she’s hurt her poor little wing badly I’m taking her to vet tomorrow since it’s night now her only symptoms are fatigue closing of the eyes and the abnormal posture of her wings I feel so guilty because I normally watch them in the backyard although there’s nothing hazardous I just enjoy spending time with them Penny came to us from the street a year ago when the original Penny passed at the age of 13 also 2 month ago she had been laying eggs without the shell I just assumed it was her lack of protein from a poor diet wherever she came from but that has stopped however I feel like this is a terribly injury I am so worried could someone please give me advice should I wrap it she’s still eating and drinking okay.​

Attachments

• 267B17AA-4590-462C-BBCD-75FF35F0DBF6.jpeg
    267B17AA-4590-462C-BBCD-75FF35F0DBF6.jpeg
    881.3 KB · Views: 34
Have you examined her? Since it’s night and she’s trying to sleep I don’t think you need to do anything except examine her. You can’t truly tell if her fatigue and closing of the eyes is due it it being night or her being sick.

Look at her comb, nostrils, ears, eyes, vent, and check around her wings. If everything looks normal you can think about what to do next then, otherwise if you notice that something doesn’t look normal (except for the wing of course) then come back and tell us and we will figure out what to do then.

If you are confident you can pick her up easy then I’d wait till morning where you have better light, otherwise if shes hard to pick up I’d do it now.

Have you examined her? Since it’s night and she’s trying to sleep I don’t think you need to do anything except examine her. You can’t truly tell if her fatigue and closing of the eyes is due it it being night or her being sick.

Look at her comb, nostrils, ears, eyes, vent, and check around her wings. If everything looks normal you can think about what to do next then, otherwise if you notice that something doesn’t look normal (except for the wing of course) then come back and tell us and we will figure out what to do then.

If you are confident you can pick her up easy then I’d wait till morning where you have better light, otherwise if shes hard to pick up I’d do it now.
Everything appears normally except for wing she just had a bit of diarrhoea when I held her and is seems fatigued but is drinking okay and still eating a little bit I’m gonna go check on her first thing tomorrow morning I hope she can make a quick recovery otherwise I’ll take her to the vet for a check up she’s too precious, thank you so much for responding I’ve had chickens all my life and seeing them hurt is the worst ever

If it’s only one wing I think she probably just sprained or possibly broke it. Sadly there isn’t much you can do for a sprained or broken wing. You can try and tape it with vet tape, but that is really it. If you want to know for sure what’s wrong with her wing I would take her to the vet.

When she gets out in the morning check that she is walking right and has strength through out the whole side of her body.

Seeing them hurt or unwell is definitely the worst and I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

If everything else appears normal with her, I would monitor and then take her to the vet as soon as you can if you want to figure out what is going on with her wing. She may have done something to sprain or strain it, or even broken it, but the vet will be able to give you a better assessment since they will be able to look at her injury in person.

You said she was laying eggs with no shell and then stopped. Do you mean she stopped laying eggs, or do you mean that she is still laying but is now laying eggs with a hard shell? Does she have free access to a calcium source, such as oyster shell?

If she is still laying, is it at all possible that she might be egg bound? That's something I like to rule out as soon as possible when assessing a hen who has had known difficulties with laying.

Best of luck with her and I hope she feels better soon.

Is it just her left wing that is dropped? Her tail is down, and that can be a sign that she is sick or possibly has a reproductive disorder. That seems obvious since she had the history of laying soft eggs, and now does not lay anymore. The decreased light in winter also affects laying in hens over 2-3 years old.

I would try making sure that she eats and drinks a couple of times a day. You could offer her some feed wet with some water, and add some scrambled egg or tuna. What do you feed her? Is she on layer feed or have crushed oyster shell available?

Is her crop filling up during the day, and then emptying by the next morning? Crop issues can be common, and may be related to other illnesses.

@mychickensgivemelife are you still around, or did you give up after not getting an instant reply?
Wondering where in this world you are located, since you posted at ~4mEST when most on here are asleep.
Hello I did not give up I fell asleep at 12 am here in Australia, and now it's 5 am and I'm about to go check on Penny when the sun comes up. Sorry for being so desperate I just feel terrible for Penny since she came to us and I wanted to give her a great life.

If it’s only one wing I think she probably just sprained or possibly broke it. Sadly there isn’t much you can do for a sprained or broken wing. You can try and tape it with vet tape, but that is really it. If you want to know for sure what’s wrong with her wing I would take her to the vet.

When she gets out in the morning check that she is walking right and has strength through out the whole side of her body.
I am planning on taking Penny to the vet today just to find out what's wrong, and it's both wings that are abnormal. She is still standing up alright and is quite strong, she hasn't eaten but is drinking well. Thank you so much for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom