Seeing them hurt or unwell is definitely the worst and I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

If everything else appears normal with her, I would monitor and then take her to the vet as soon as you can if you want to figure out what is going on with her wing. She may have done something to sprain or strain it, or even broken it, but the vet will be able to give you a better assessment since they will be able to look at her injury in person.

You said she was laying eggs with no shell and then stopped. Do you mean she stopped laying eggs, or do you mean that she is still laying but is now laying eggs with a hard shell? Does she have free access to a calcium source, such as oyster shell?

If she is still laying, is it at all possible that she might be egg bound? That's something I like to rule out as soon as possible when assessing a hen who has had known difficulties with laying.

Best of luck with her and I hope she feels better soon.
Hello! Thanks for responding, I will be taking her to the vet today to find out what's wrong. Everything else appears normal she is just fatigued, she normally runs around and goes for a dirt bath but today she is just sitting in the corner.

About the egg situation, a couple of months back she was laying eggs like poop without the shell I got some calcium drops to put in their water and a protein-based food as well as shell grit, I haven't got oyster shell before. Since then she has laid one normal egg and now has stopped laying completely.

We've only had her for just under a year she came to us right from the street, no idea where she came from or what her previous living conditions were like. I appreciate the tips, I will look into that oyster stuff!

Is it just her left wing that is dropped? Her tail is down, and that can be a sign that she is sick or possibly has a reproductive disorder. That seems obvious since she had the history of laying soft eggs, and now does not lay anymore. The decreased light in winter also affects laying in hens over 2-3 years old.

I would try making sure that she eats and drinks a couple of times a day. You could offer her some feed wet with some water, and add some scrambled egg or tuna. What do you feed her? Is she on layer feed or have crushed oyster shell available?

Is her crop filling up during the day, and then emptying by the next morning? Crop issues can be common, and may be related to other illnesses.

Is it just her left wing that is dropped? Her tail is down, and that can be a sign that she is sick or possibly has a reproductive disorder. That seems obvious since she had the history of laying soft eggs, and now does not lay anymore. The decreased light in winter also affects laying in hens over 2-3 years old.

I would try making sure that she eats and drinks a couple of times a day. You could offer her some feed wet with some water, and add some scrambled egg or tuna. What do you feed her? Is she on layer feed or have crushed oyster shell available?

Is her crop filling up during the day, and then emptying by the next morning? Crop issues can be common, and may be related to other illnesses.
Hello, both her wings look abnormal and her tail is down. She comes outside every day so gets whatever sun is available. She normally eats all day long. We feed the chickens a classic seed mix as well as protein-based food, and our leftover veggies and lots of lettuce and grass from the garden. Her crop is functioning normally it's filling up and emptying.

Thanks for responding, and the idea that it may be a reproductive disorder I will be taking her to the vet today for a check-up.

PLEASE READ I AM DESPERATE: Penny is a young healthy chicken full of personality we’re in the middle of winter so I know she’s not overheating I’m worried she’s hurt her poor little wing badly I’m taking her to vet tomorrow since it’s night now her only symptoms are fatigue closing of the eyes and the abnormal posture of her wings I feel so guilty because I normally watch them in the backyard although there’s nothing hazardous I just enjoy spending time with them Penny came to us from the street a year ago when the original Penny passed at the age of 13 also 2 month ago she had been laying eggs without the shell I just assumed it was her lack of protein from a poor diet wherever she came from but that has stopped however I feel like this is a terribly injury I am so worried could someone please give me advice should I wrap it she’s still eating and drinking okay​
PLEASE READ I AM DESPERATE: Penny is a young healthy chicken full of personality we’re in the middle of winter so I know she’s not overheating I’m worried she’s hurt her poor little wing badly I’m taking her to vet tomorrow since it’s night now her only symptoms are fatigue closing of the eyes and the abnormal posture of her wings I feel so guilty because I normally watch them in the backyard although there’s nothing hazardous I just enjoy spending time with them Penny came to us from the street a year ago when the original Penny passed at the age of 13 also 2 month ago she had been laying eggs without the shell I just assumed it was her lack of protein from a poor diet wherever she came from but that has stopped however I feel like this is a terribly injury I am so worried could someone please give me advice should I wrap it she’s still eating and drinking okay.​
MORNING UPDATE: Her wing is looking better but she doesn’t want to leave the nest, she’s still eating small amounts but drinking well I’m about to prepare something for her don’t know what yet, she’s acting strange and walking around really slow.

I let her outside she’s gone to my outdoor chair and nesting in that I think she is recovering, although if anything gets worse I will take her to the vet I am just glad she doesn’t look as bad as yesterday. Thanks to everyone who responded it really helped, although I can still not rule out what’s wrong.

Attachments

• D58BCE71-1619-4976-A48E-3A93FA37B838.jpeg
    D58BCE71-1619-4976-A48E-3A93FA37B838.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom