kelster66

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 15, 2008
[im
15828_img_1156.jpg

g]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/15828_img_1152.jpg[/img]
15828_img_1157.jpg

started out as what I thought was MG..... now wondering if it could be coryza????? eating/pooping fine...no wheezing/sneezing. eyes swollen shut, "ring" of swelling around eyes and ears, yellowing/flaky patches...she is scratching her head alot, sometimes gaping mouth open. no signs of worms or mites?????? treated w/ tylan 50, two courses...not any better, started getting worse. so.... viral? fungus??? anyone PLEASE give me some ideas.

Is their any bad smell towards her face.... I mean really rotten bad smell....? Normally you get pussy eye w/ Coryza... hummmmm. You said bleeding, is it just the scabs that are bleeding or is her nose /mouth leaking blood? What are you treating with ? Sorry your girls sick....

thanks for the posts. I have been checking for foul odor...none. ?? her eyes have been crusty. waiting on terramycin to get here in the mail. started today putting the tylan cut w/ water in her eyes. the bleeding is from her scratching it so bad. i've have been looking all over the internet to figure out what it could be. it doesn't seem to match any one diagnosis......frustrated.

I had one that looked similar to yours and used terramycin
salve on her. Just put on my fingertip and rubbed it in.
She cleared up after a few days but still had I guess afew scars
from where the black colored spots were on her.
Good luck and hope she gets better.
Also when her eyes were closed up like that I rubbed
the terramycin over them also.

Last edited:
A young hen of mine had that same thing the end of summer, early Fall and no smell, no wheezing, either. She died and I still couldn't find anything online regarding what it was. Thankfully no one else of my many flocks got it. Here is what she looked like and she lasted a week to ten days. I had to make sure she ate and drank by carefully pushing her head down to the water and food cause she couldn't see anything. A few others are posting something similar recently but no pics until you posted yours. My hen looked worse than yours;
6333_swollen_008.jpg

6333_swollen_007.jpg

I'm sorry its now happening to yours and am happy to hear terramycin worked in case others (and I, too) might have this happen (again).

Back
Top Bottom