Please help sick chickens!!!!

@1Slayer is right- if you can't keep them warm any other way, place them in your shirt or against your skin. They need the warmth!
I did this. Wrapped loosely in a towel and they were close to body heat. I am starting to think this is a different problem, as 4 chicks died today, despite me trying everything to make them warm. Could it be a vitamin issue? Got the heater lamp finally, it was not enough to save the fourth one, but the last two chicks are doing fine. I think it may be something in their genetics?

If your keeping them warm that's most important - if you have nutri- drench, or save a chick..make sure they are drinking, and hopefully eating.. check for pasty butt... I just hope & pray they can make it.šŸ™ Keep them close, and comfortable ā¤ļø

When did you get them from Rural King? How many days have they been with you? Day old chicks cannot survive without a heat source period. They have to be kept in 90-95 degree temperatures as soon as they are brought home in that box from the feed store.

I'm so sorry they are not doing well.

Can you please post photos of the brooder you have setup?

You have some chicks that are doing o.k. - how are you keeping them. Are they older chicks, did you get them at a different time, are they a different breed?

Please, photos will tell quite a bit and we may be able to offer some suggestions.

I see scrambled eggs in a photo, but do you have chick starter or something else you are feeding them?
I'd try making a watery mash of chick starter and offer that to eat instead of scrambled eggs, they may not recognize the egg as food if they are very young.

I get that you are wanting to keep the water shallow to help prevent drowning, but please do watch if the chicks are drinking, they do like to have water deep enough to dip their beak in.

I'm sure this is heartbreaking for you.

I'm so sorry they are not doing well.

Can you please post photos of the brooder you have setup?

You have some chicks that are doing o.k. - how are you keeping them. Are they older chicks, did you get them at a different time, are they a different breed?

Please, photos will tell quite a bit and we may be able to offer some suggestions.

I see scrambled eggs in a photo, but do you have chick starter or something else you are feeding them?
I'd try making a watery mash of chick starter and offer that to eat instead of scrambled eggs, they may not recognize the egg as food if they are very young.

I get that you are wanting to keep the water shallow to help prevent drowning, but please do watch if the chicks are drinking, they do like to have water deep enough to dip their beak in.

I'm sure this is heartbreaking for you.
The two strongest are still alive. They seem well, and I will post a picture of the brooder in the morning. I got them on Thursday in licking county Ohio. They are the same breed and age as the four who died. They do not have scrambled eggs at the moment, but have access to water and chick start crumbles.

Back
Top Bottom