PLEASE HELP!! small white worms in poop

PreciousCrystal

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
1) What type of bird , age and weight
I don't know type, 2 years old, normal weight for her
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
at first couldn't stand, drowzy & axausted. now wabbles, tail down still tired.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Found her yesterday morning
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
none, except for her left leg being stuck out behind her when I found her laying on the ground
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
she was under shelter, so she couldn't have fallen. There was a shelless egg close by, But I don't know if it was from her since I don't check that secret nest very often.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
ate and drank a ton yesterday, eating today and drinking a bit less. Or maybe she drinks when I'm not watching. pecking at the pine shavings.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
solitude, 20 warm bath ad lubed her vent, tried to give her soaked cat food for extra protein and crushed egg shells for calcium but she wasn't interested. ate several chopped kale pieces though.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
done
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
tupperware bin with pine shavings

Please help me with my Roberta.

Yesterday I found her in a small area where the girls lay and egg or two once in a while, (when the nesting boxes have a too long of a line, and she doesn't want to wait, is my guess)
but she had one leg sprawled behind her, comb sagged over and she wouldn't get up.
I picked her up and she couldn't stand. No blood or missing feathers. No bones feel out of place. Seems as if her left leg is paralyzed.
I put her in solitude and she ate and drank a ton right away. she spent the whole day sleeping not moving at all on her own.
After researching Mereks, I doubt that's it, being her eyesight is keen.
looked into Rickets and Spondylolisthesis, Kinky-back.

Today I found a report on egg-bound chickens being paralyzed, so I gave her a 20 minute warm bath, which she enjoyed. but no egg. she's pooping fine and not pumping her tail up and down. no egg today though. and she's normally pretty regular at once a day.
She is much more perky today. After the bath she stands on her good right leg and hobbles with her left a bit. she is acting more like a chicken and pecks around her little solitary confinement box. But her tail is so droopy! =( But I don't feel anything hard inside her.
I can't be sure that she is egg-bound.
any suggestions or recommendations?
thank you for your time.
Crystal

Last edited:
But what if she is suffering from something else???

I rubbed olive oil on her vent. I will try vaseline. Thank you!

Last edited:
Vaseline stays on better even after a bath. If she is egg bound she will slide it out. but I had one that stroked out after a storm. It scared her into the stroke.
It sounds a lot like what you are describing but my little girl never showed improvement. She just kept getting worse.
Yours cant be the same. It sounds more like egg bound.
Was there any loud noises before you found her?

If she is showing signs of getting better than you are doing the right things.
Lots of baths. and lube.
Keep her in a dry dark place so she can work on pushing that egg out.
Good luck to you!
Wish you the best!

maybe this because she is attempting to use her one lame leg :

"Some birds develop temporary paralysis that disappears after 1-2 days. They
appear to return to normal, but frequently die from internal tumors a short time later"

I'll observe her breathing closer, but she seams to be breathing normal. She does have a darkening comb That I noticed earlier today =(
No diarrhea yet.
Holds her head up fine.
No swelling wattles.
Will check her skin for nodules and ulcers ...
I will keep her separated from the other three hen, if she survives, how long do you think?

Last edited:
I don't know what to do :,( my poor baby

I tried to upload a 10 second video of her breathing. but it wont let me unless I have a youtube URL, which I don't

Sometimes she opens her beak and pants like she's hot. sometimes she also closes her eyes as she pants.

just soft pink skin everywhere I look on her.

Last edited:
Please don't take this as a diagnosis, but just do some reading. Many members of BYC have flocks that contain chickens with Mareks. While many chickens die with Mareks, some of them live, and not every member of the flock has it. Here is a thread that has many BYC members who ask questions and discuss their birds with Mareks: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/741957/not-an-emergency-mareks-in-the-flock

Check inside her vent an inch or so with a gloved finger to make sure that she isn't egg bound. Also you can give her some calcium (crushed egg shell or oyster shell, a Tums, or a calcium tablet.)

Back
Top Bottom