Please help! Urgent on hatching day. Don't know what to do.

@ Miss Lydia. Do you think I should keep him (the runner) in the incubator or is it safe to move him under the heat lamp with the others? We planned on putting him in his own little box so the others can't peck him. If you think the incubator is a safer bet, then we'll do that.

Update: We candled the remaining 9 ducks. 5 of them didn't make it. They were bright red and there was zero movement. 2 of them are questionable, so they went back into the incubator. The other 2 are the ones with the pip holes and are definitely alive and chirping. I'm hoping they will zip tomorrow. I applied the coconut oil to the one that was more exposed. Thanks to everyone who responded so quickly. I was a mess this morning, but now I'm feeling more confident.

As long as the yolk is absorbed, I think you could put him in the brooder. You can leave him in his little teacup and make sure he's plenty warm under the light. Maybe put a little mirror in there so he can see himself and a little stuffed animal to keep him company until the rest of the ducklings hatch. I bet by morning he'll be running around the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom